Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

not that far, we're looking at E TN or W NC... mountain regions. We need to get a little more removed from winter. Both Hubby and I are having back issues and not getting any younger. Nice to see some of you guys still on here!

Yesterday I started 'winter prep' out there; covered the small lower west and south windows with two layers of plastic. Soon, the plastic will go up on the lower run walls. Not yet, but soon. And the water heater will get plugged . And the electric bill will go up. DO NOT love winter!
Silly, at this time of the year, moving south sounds pretty good! Mary

I also took advantage of no wind and not too cold weather and put up all the plastic panels on the hardware cloth. I was only going to do the windy west side, but then figured I may as well get it all done while I was at it. I'll wait until there is some ice on the water in the mornings before I put in the heated waterer, and add a deeper layer of shavings to the coop and more straw to the nests, also more Sweet pdz to the poop board and I'm going to experiment and add a layer of pine needles to the sand in the run. (soft long pine needles, not short sharp ones)

Am waiting for warmer or at least drier day to finish up closing and 'cleaning' the coop windows, they are all awning windows so get filthy enough to obscure what little light we get. Other yard work to be done also....but no 'warmer' and very little 'drier' weather in the forecast. :(

Kinda mad at myself. Thought that I had a roll of 2 foot wide chicken wire that I was going to use to top off the straw bales walls to keep the girls from getting out and over the bales. All I had was some 3 foot stuff. Oh well, guess another stop by TSC for some more stuff. At least I did get some other stuff done, like the plastic up on the front of the coop. Didn't get pictures of that today, but I got a few from Sunday.

23031416_10104752729833335_896884743161523562_n.jpg

23032679_10104752729983035_4029227339832143794_n.jpg

23131852_10104752730052895_7923871891468236437_n.jpg

Well, it's supposed to 'mostly cloudy' with nor rain today...so knocked off a couple winterizing task this morning...felt kinda 'warm' at about 45F.

Poor chickens, I scared the sh!t out of them this morning by scrubbing main window when they were still inside, heard a massive flight exodus to other end of coop....then dragging hose across top of run to get back windows after they were out was not popular either.

No injuries that I have seen, I stayed relatively dry, and excess algae growth is off windows and steps for more light penetration and less slippery footing for the winter that is fast approaching.

Next up is shop vac inside coop to get dust off windows that were horizontal all summer....they're not going to like *that* either. They'll get over it tho.

Back
Top Bottom