Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Chain link, and add Invisible Fencing on the inside of your physical fence, so they can't reach that easy to breach wall. Or, at least, add electric fencing inside, so getting to the fence is not fun.
Either electric livestock type fencing, or dog collar type Invisible fencing, will be less difficult than the buried 2' underground, and six foot wall type fencing. And some dogs can jump six feet, and/ or climb chain link.
The goal is to prevent the little darlings from getting to the fence...
mary
I will keep that as an idea. I didn't know they make invisible fencing with dog collars that don't go in the ground

Sally, to set eight foot steel posts, have each laying on the ground, with the bottom of the post where it is meant to enter the ground. Place the post driver on the post, then raise it and the post vertically, and drive it in.
There was one problem: The posts were going on the inside of the existing fence, and I had to be outside on the step stool. Otherwise I'd have been trampling all over the plants. I thought about taking all the fence down, but it's been there so long that the grass has anchored a lot of it in place. I was replacing home made wooden posts that DH made out of bits of barn wood. They held up a lot longer than we thought they would.
We have been trying to compost our grass and garden leftovers.
The blade part of grass composts quickly. The stem part, not as quickly. The long rhizome roots: Keep those out of the compost if you can. They sit there, bide their time, and when they end up back in the garden, they grow again. How do I know this? Trust me, I know this.

Any woody stem parts of plants take a while to break down. If you can chop them up somehow, that helps. If you have a high nitrogen source, like chicken poop, that will help. And if you do a "hot rot" that will help too. Check out this info on the Berkeley compost method.
https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/2010/05/08/hot-compost-composting-in-18-days/

We have been trying to compost our grass and garden leftovers. If you have any tips I would love some. No compost soil yet. But one happy rat snake enjoying the heat source
Others here have a lot more success than I've had - this was my first successful try after several failures over the years.

This time: I turned it more often, watered it much, much, much more often, used smaller sized pieces, paid more attention to the ratio of manure to dry grass and sawdust (it should be about 1:10). And this is the first time I've had chicken droppings to use. They are easier than the plant-based options.

Does anyone have any tips for my dogs to stop escaping their fence. They are huskies and I know that breed is a master at it but there has to be something I can do. They are outdoor dogs and we take them out on walks everyday and let them inside for a few hours in the evening so they can watch tv with us.

They keep chewing through their fence which is a utility fence so maybe would chain link be better so they can't chew through it? Also they LOVE to dig so how to I help with that. I thought maybe landscape blocks around the perimeter where the fence is, would that work? Like they won't push them out of the way.
Good luck. My male Husky has climbed over a 6 foot chain link and dug under with the previous owner. He was rehomed to us at age 5 and he's 10 now. The previous owner just didn't want him anymore. He's a big lap dog that prefers my lazy boy recliner. He's an escape artist and when he goes he goes. We always get him back but it's a pain. Anyway, Huskies, man oh man. Between shedding and escaping I wonder what were doing.

Good luck. My male Husky has climbed over a 6 foot chain link and dug under with the previous owner. He was rehomed to us at age 5 and he's 10 now. The previous owner just didn't want him anymore. He's a big lap dog that prefers my lazy boy recliner. He's an escape artist and when he goes he goes. We always get him back but it's a pain. Anyway, Huskies, man oh man. Between shedding and escaping I wonder what were doing.
And to know that they are so cute. I read they are the closest to wolves

Here doing nothing today. I feel so lazy after church. Or maybe the fact that I stopped at FFH to get some feed and hardwarecloth and had to say no to a few peeps like 3 wks old. Trust me, it is the first time I had entertained the idea of sneaking them to Pitbull and Lil'Mama. But I made it out without feather,lol.
@troyer mentioned that I more likely I have 2 roos and 2 girls. Disappointed but not sure if I can keep more than one. Need to check the ordinance again to make sure. Once seems to be "Gloria" and he is this beautiful charcoal color. Him and "Jlo " are the lightest ones. Who knows, I might make them a house next to the duck and mate them. Their colors are beautiful!

Duck update: thing are going still. Slowly but surely. Hub began with the roof and I need to get with the wire,yuck!
Just not today. Would had been nice because it is cloudy but, nope! Had a busy week and this coming is pretty pack and Unity Festival starts on the 10th. 20220806_191734.jpg 20220806_191717.jpg 20220806_191727.jpg

Back
Top Bottom