Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I remember when i was a kid, my parents had pickle farm, and at the end of the season, us kids would sure have some fun with the huge orange yellow pickles, we would throw them at each other, cut them in half, clean the seeds out and float them in the ditch like boats.. put sails on them.. lots of fun with those big huge overipe pickles..

I finally sold my first craigslist eggs today.. put the ad up a couple of days ago.. I am getting 10-14 eggs a day out of my 20 hens..

Raz Good Luck with your hatch..
fl.gif

Went to the farmers market yesturday and there was a farmer there with a big box of corn and not perfect veggies, i asked him what he was going to do with them, and he said take home and throw in a whole, so i asked if i could have it for my chickens.. And boy my chickens were sure some happy campers..

Congrats Kim. I went through that when I rescued Jillaroo. The county tried to fine me because she was not licensed when I got her. I fought it and won. Here I was with a dog abandoned in the woods tied to a tree. I get her vet visit, check for a chip, and end up deciding to keep her and the "man" wants to screw me over, lol! Have fun with the new charge! John P.S. Don't forget, if Jilly ever has ACD pups you said you wanted one (just kidding).

When is she having pups? I want one!!!! I miss my ACD's

Kimmie

Got another nice jumbo today. Weight wise 1g bigger than mutant one the other day. At least this one looks a little more like a normal egg!! Pretty impressed with these 24 week old girls :D

3 x 5 card (82g & 81g)

nice eggs!!

New Hampshire, LOVES being a mom, June 6 she hatched 2 chicks, she is still babying them, chases others away from their food sleeps with them, very nice looking Spanish Bisque, 1 roo 1 hen, crazy she is still mothering when my orpington hatched 3 the same day and quit a long time ago the Jersy Giant that I couldn't brake, mothered for 1 month and quit

The only way for me to keep this solo duckling happy is to let it stay with whenever I am home. Right now, she is trying to 'help' me type this message. It is taking so much longer than usual. I guess computer keys are nifty for a duckling!

I work this weekend though, so it'll be one upset duckling since I'll be gone almost all of the day and won't get back until midnight....

Hey Michigan folks -

I'd like you all to know that there is a meeting of the Commission of Agriculture in Benton Harbor next Wednesday, beginning at 9 am. I'll be there, asking them to not make changes to the GAAMPS that will very significantly weaken our protection under Right to Farm. The place to be is here:

Southwest Michigan Research & Extension Center
Jordan Tatter Conference Center
1791 Hillandale Road, Benton Harbor

And then the other thing that is going on is that the Bakers Green Acres case against the DNR and the Attorney General will be going to trial. The simplified version of the story is that the DNR defined all kinds of pigs (straight tail OR curly tail, etc.) as invasive species, outlawed them, and then created a narrow exception for the kinds of pigs grown on factory farms. Baker is suing, and will get his day in court. You can read about it here: http://bakersgreenacres.com

And while you're there note that harvest time for pigs is coming up, and they have pigs to sell. They are working hard to stay in business as pig farmers, and I'm pretty sure could use our support.

Finally, just want to say that there are lots of ag issues in Michigan right now, and not all of them have to do with chickens. Like the Bakers Green Acres case. I started a new discussion forum with a focus on Michigan, instead of a focus on chickens. http://www.michigansmallfarmforum.com

Back
Top Bottom