Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Well, I found a local butcher for all our extra roos. They are going in on Wednesday. I was hoping to find homes for a couple since they're gorgeous purebreds (Blue Copper Marans and Lavender Ameraucana) but no such luck. Oh well, I will be glad to lower our rooster population!

DH found a large pile of feathers in the yard that I identified as Partridge Rock feathers.  I did a count and they were all there so I checked Welsummers since they are close in color.  All there.  So I went back over the Rocks closer only to discover molting has started.  It didn't even wait for the fair this year...
What fair do you go to?

Multiple food and water dishes! She will be sure to get some this way. Also do a crop check morning and night for a while. Needs to be empty in the morn, if it is not she has resorted to eating non edibles. In the eve if it is empty take her away from the flock and feed her. Pellets, people food- the object is to give her color in the comb and stamina until she establishes herself. The weaker and paler she gets the worse the picking will be!! Maybe do somd extra treat tosses to the others to distract them. Mine always look smug after stealing all the treats and it takes their edge off their jeolousy of the new ones. :)

Thanks, but what do you mean by a crop check?

I have asked this a few times before, and no response. I need a builder. Someone that can build me and all year round house and open area for 2 geese and a couple ducks. This would be under my deck for the house and some kind of enclosed area for my backyard connecting to the duck house. 

Please, if you don't build yourself, than someone that can that you can refer. Please! An all Michigan weather house for night time, completely predator proof from raccoon, opossum, skunks, coyotes, fox and aerial attacks.

Thank you in advance!

The crop is the little balloon at the front of the bird, her right between neck and chest. It stored food and sorts it before it goes to the true stomach. After a full meal you can feel a little balloon of water. Don't squeeze it hard, just kinda gentle and roll it a little. You should feel SOME pellets in there, or doughiness in the eve. If your birds aren't tame at night when they roost is easiest. You could feed her seperate in the eve too and watch to see how much she actually eats.

As to the house are you anywhere near casnovia??? That is where i bought mine and you can't buy wood for as cheap as they cost!!! They will do smaller sizes to order.

Last edited:
My chicken"Abby" looks gust like your profile pix ,

Added this little group of bantams to my flock this weekend. Since I am fairly new to chickens and certainly am not familiar with all the breeds, can someone verify that they are splash old english game birds?

What fair do you go to?

Emmet/Charlevoix, tip of the mitten.

It has been more than a year since I have had to deal with fowl mites. Two days ago I kept saying it felt like I had a mite on me and it was creeping me out. I checked birds and found 1 broody out of the bunch had a few but nothing extreme and I had not touched her. Later I went to work in the garden and picked up my garden gloves off the porch and headed out. I looked down to find mites pouring up my arms off the gloves. It seems when the baby Phoebes fledged out of their nest which is in the roof of our front porch, the mites deserted the nest. Our whole front porch was crawling with mites. Dh sprayed everything down. I keep my coop shoes on the porch along with gloves. I think we will have to spray everything again because I just got bit by another mite on me. My guess is its been two days and I'm sure more are hatching out. I hate mites! At least in this case I don't have to treat all the chickens, just the porch.

Back
Top Bottom