Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I prefer heritage/ dual purpose chickens, and found Isas to be very aggressive in the flock, and short lived. I also didn't love the production (hatchery) RIR's, for the same reasons. Australorps are very nice, as are Speckled Sussex hens, EE's, Ameracaunas, Marans, and Wyandottes. None of them will lay as many eggs per pound of feed as white Leghorn or hybrid laying hens, but may live longer and be nicer birds. Did I mention Chanteclers? Iowa Blues? So many breeds, so little space! Mary
I started with Barred Rocks years ago and still find them to be a gentle, friendly, and cool looking breed. I'd say the next in line for being friendly were my German New Hampshires. The meanest were the Rhode Island Reds. The most flighty were the Easter Eggers (either A type). Just my two centavos!

Oh, and edit, egg production has been pretty much equal for these breeds. I've never had production models:)

Last edited:
I've had many different breeds, the heritage, production hybrids, standard mutts, & rare... I'll just say that the ISA browns are usually on my list to get 1 or 2 new pullets every spring. I really like the ISA's, but could go with or without the Rhode Island Reds. The ISA's "might" be a little more tempermental on occasion, but so will the Rhode Island Reds... I haven't really noticed much difference between those breeds as far as attitudes, but the ISA's are egg machines. If you get an ISA in the spring... you'll have eggs before winter hits. Another breed that I will get each spring is the leghorn. I think people tend to shy away from the leghorns because they're the standard production bird used by the large factories & lay white eggs. But, every leghorn I've ever had was gentle & nice & an awesome layer. They're smaller, eat less, quieter, & seem to get along with everyone including me :). And when you add a couple white eggs to all the brown ones (and blues & greens etc), they stand out very nicely.

I've had many different breeds, the heritage, production hybrids, standard mutts, & rare... I'll just say that the ISA browns are usually on my list to get 1 or 2 new pullets every spring.  I really like the ISA's, but could go with or without the Rhode Island Reds.  The ISA's "might" be a little more tempermental on occasion, but so will the Rhode Island Reds... I haven't really noticed much difference between those breeds as far as attitudes, but the ISA's are egg machines.  If you get an ISA in the spring... you'll have eggs before winter hits.  Another breed that I will get each spring is the leghorn.  I think people tend to shy away from the leghorns because they're the standard production bird used by the large factories & lay white eggs.  But, every leghorn I've ever had was gentle & nice & an awesome layer.  They're smaller, eat less, quieter, & seem to get along with everyone including me :).  And when you add a couple white eggs to all the brown ones (and blues & greens etc), they stand out very nicely. 
X2 My 3 Isa are great after they started to lay. One was a bit bossy with other flock members occassionally, but they're all mellow now.

10881478_1007263975961280_4288508555316476095_n.jpg

If you are a nerd you are probably laughing right now.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom