Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Wow thanks for the information jackieandchicks. My birds have been in lock down lately anyway. I have lost 3 birds recently and I can't figure out how. It seems when I let my birds out to free range one keeps coming up missing. Whatever it is it's sneaky, perhaps a fox or a hawk because one minute all the birds are there and then they are not. This is happening during the day and there is no trace of feathers or a fight or anything. I have dealt with Racoons for years and I know how to deal with them, this has got me stumped. Until I figure it out they are not going to free range.

I've had a few fox attacks in the past year, there are always feathers, as the bird fights to get away. My guess for you then, is hawks.
sad.png

This was our first winter with chickens, no electric, no real problems just giving water multiple times a day. But we're almost into Indiana, not sure about further north.

Only issue was our golden campine getting picked on, still is. May have to rehome her not sure yet, shes the smallest. Not sure I like the Isa Browns attitude, they're bullies but lay well. Hoping once the variety pack of nine 10 wk olds grow up and all go into the larger coop we're working on it'll be better.

Will a rooster automatically take charge and protect ones getting picked once he grows up? Or does it depend on the bird? We were suppose to have gotten one barred rock and one black sex link, but both are barred so either sex link is male or their both BRs.

Apparently i get sidetracked easily today...

I'm surprised about the 'tude of your Isa's! Sounds like you need some RIR's or SLW/GLW's to keep them in line! I always had those along with my Isa's and they were well behaved. I quit ordering Isa's bc they don't seem to fare well in really hot summers, but I do like the breed.
smile.png

Oh ya, the roosters will protect some picked upon birds but it depends on why they are getting picked on. If the roo thinks it's uncalled for, he will step in.

Last edited:
I've had a few fox attacks in the past year, there are always feathers, as the bird fights to get away. My guess for you then, is hawks.:(

I'll second that but suggest large hawk or eagle hawk won't be so inclined to carry off a victim while it struggles. Eagles are large enough that an adult chicken ain't much fuss.

Seen both carry off my birds. And my my and grandads solution was highly illegal. So all I can do is be vigilant.

Ha! I guess we're ahead of the game on Isa patrol! Grow out pen has one each RIR, GLW, SLW, BR, BSL (ROO?), BO, Light Brahma and 2 EE's. DD has fallen in love with the brahma, oh spoiled lol.

Dport - keeping ducks and chickens together can be like oil and water. Some breeds do better together than others. My Muscovy hens, my Runner ducks, and my Rouens all seem to do quite well with the chickens. My main coop is 12 x 16 with a large run built around it (plus lots of free range time in decent weather. The ducks make a huge mess with any water source and can up the humidity in a fully enclosed coop (or cause water damage on flooring that isn't built for it), especially during the winter. When I put a couple of Muscovy drakes in the mix, it was mayhem in there. I now have a separate Scovy pen. Pekins didn't play nice with the rest of the flock either - they pigged down any and all food so the chickens were always without. That was just my experience, though. I'm sure there are others that have had better experiences with this . . .
As far as young children go - Muscovies have very sharp claws. My hands have been sliced open more than once when working with them (ususally clipping wings or doing something that they don't want done, lol). My birds are all friendly for the most part and follow me around the yard or stay close when I am working on a project (often critiquing whatever I'm doing. Or begging for treats that they believe I'm withholding from them).
With just one or two duck hens and a small number of chickens you should be fine with a coop that large, though. Planning ahead is always key, of course.

Many of my chicks and ducklings will be mixed breeds. Most will end up as Olive Egger mutts (I have dark egg layers and EEs with a few other breeds thrown in). The ducks will be Runner, Rouen, or crosses, with the exception of the Muscovies.

I cant believe my eyes, snow... Isnt it supposed to be spring?!?

On that note, is it possible to have a coop in michigan without electricity?

Yes you do not need electricity how ever frozen water can be an issue so fresh water needs to. Be taken out often
Wow thanks for the information jackieandchicks.  My birds have been in lock down lately anyway.  I have lost 3 birds recently and I can't figure out how.  It seems when I let my birds out to free range one keeps coming up missing. Whatever it is it's sneaky, perhaps a fox or a hawk because one minute all the birds are there and then they are not.  This is happening during the day and there is no trace of feathers or a fight or anything.  I have dealt with Racoons for years and I know how to deal with them, this has got me stumped. Until I figure it out they are not going to free range.
. Could be a dog. Hawks often eat on the spot and you will see feathers

Over the years I've learned a lot and perhaps one of the more important things is to not worry about what hasn't happened Don't make something an issue until it happens, then deal with it. There is no way to protect my flock completely from something like avian flu So until it affects my birds I won' spend valuable time worrying.

X2 - note that those most affected have been production farms with stringent biosecurity. Even if you keep a flock completely isolated there is still a risk. Most of us here on BYC keep small flocks for pleasure as much as production, and would balk at total confinement of our flocks, which would be unlikely to be successful anyway.

Hope the wild bird population does not suffer too much - remember what West Nile Virus did to them several years ago.

Chickenstock thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ken-stock-information-thread-for-june-20-2015

X2 - note that those most affected have been production farms with stringent biosecurity. Even if you keep a flock completely isolated there is still a risk. Most of us here on BYC keep small flocks for pleasure as much as production, and would balk at total confinement of our flocks, which would be unlikely to be successful anyway.

Hope the wild bird population does not suffer too much - remember what West Nile Virus did to them several years ago.

Chickenstock thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ken-stock-information-thread-for-june-20-2015

Right. From what I have read and the map, It seems to be west of us mostly, along the Mississippi flyway. Let's hope it stays that way. The only things I am going to do different is to quit feeding seeds to mine outside and stop feeding the wilds until this calms down. There are many retention ponds around here and Geese do fly over my land but I do not have a pond so I am not overly concerned at this point.

Back
Top Bottom