Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Quote: It's funny to see this.
I have never grown potatoes but a friend told me yesterday they had problems growing them and I asked if they 'hilled' them up.
He looked at me like I was nuts and said uh no....I said thought you were supposed to cover the plant up as it grows to make taters underground.
SMH.

Yes, I just hill the whole plant, leaves and all. My Yukon Gold and Rose Finns were fabulous last year.

This year the chickens got into the potato plot while I wasn't looking, and hilled them up beautifully for me, did not damage a single plant.

Forget the AI scare. The only poultry related "disease" here is broody-itis.
One more has decided to go broody on me. That makes 4 that are giving me the stink eye.
The funny thing is that they have paired up and both pair share the eggs. One gets up and the other moves the eggs. The one that got up comes back and they shuffle the eggs between them.
I watched both pair do this twice today.

Baking and packing up eggs for glambda!! Looking forward to chickenstock tomorrow
woot.gif
!
i am bringing pop- rootbeer,grape, and orange.
turtle brownies. and baked beans.
also we have the hot dawgs from wynette.

is anybody bringing the charcoal?

Should be a beautiful day. I heard rumors that not many people were planning to attend. The first chickenstock was in potter park and very few people were there. Old timers like myself and chickflick have gone to them all and always a have good time talking chicken
big_smile.png
!

Quote:
Kind of a sad day for me today. I found that the roosters are fighting and can't be friends anymore. Chicken B has some scrapes and bumps on his comb and his feet from him and Rudy fighting. I had them out today and Rudy would not leave Chicken B alone, so I took Chicken B to the other side of the yard. Rudy decided to come across the driveway a few times to antagonize Chicken B more. I have Chicken B in the house with me tonight in one of the dog kennels.

I think I will have to rehome him. I expected this would potentially happen, just didn't expect it when I am working an almost 60 hour week.

Anyone interested in a RIR rooster that's about 16 weeks old? We're near Lansing. I weighed him in at over 5 lbs earlier in the week. I'd prefer he not go for meat since I can just do that myself.

If anyone is interested shoot me a PM. I cannot deliver unfortunately.
Life has a funny, nay, hysterical way of doing that. First, I asked my boss a few weeks ago for a couple light weeks, as I am feeling burnt out and have an impending bathroom remodel. Then I get sent to another (busier) store to help between the two locations. Boyfriend starts tearing out old bathroom, he has it down to studs now. Lastly, one co-worker takes leave of absence for family reasons and another one gets hurt. So i'll be working 6 days/week for three weeks in a row, and my old bathroom is currently in a pile in my garage next to my new bathtub. I haven't showered in...longer than I would like to say. Be glad ya'll can't smell me through your screen. I don't know what your occupation is that gets you 60 hours, that many would be too many for me.

Forget the AI scare. The only poultry related "disease" here is broody-itis.
One more has decided to go broody on me. That makes 4 that are giving me the stink eye.
The funny thing is that they have paired up and both pair share the eggs. One gets up and the other moves the eggs. The one that got up comes back and they shuffle the eggs between them.
I watched both pair do this twice today.
yuckyuck.gif

Baking and packing up eggs for glambda!! Looking forward to chickenstock tomorrow
woot.gif
!
i am bringing pop- rootbeer,grape, and orange.
turtle brownies. and baked beans.
also we have the hot dawgs from wynette.

is anybody bringing the charcoal?

Should be a beautiful day. I heard rumors that not many people were planning to attend. The first chickenstock was in potter park and very few people were there. Old timers like myself and chickflick have gone to them all and always a have good time talking chicken
big_smile.png
!
I gotta go next year. I'll even shower first. Have fun!

And the adventures of my Super Suburban Six continue. Last evening a baby bird fluttered/fell from our (Norway maple!) into the corner of my yard by the gate, and she's incredibly lucky she landed where she did. A couple of my girls rushed her! I think they even landed a few pecks. As tiny as she is, made it to the gate and escaped a horrible fate by getting through the two-inch opening to safety. The adult sparrows chirped pleasantries at my girls for the rest of the evening.

I think Penny and Hazel are friends. When we let them free range, they're often together. So cute. And I think Tori is on the bottom of the pecking order. I watched her try to find space on the roost from the bottom of the coop for five minutes. And when she finally jumped up, she got a peck from her new neighbor. Man, I'd love to upgrade the coop, but I think my boyfriend would holler.

When I lived in Northern Maine the huge commercial farmers just ran down the rows and kept hilling over the plants until Blossom Festival.  I met a bunch of these good folks and asked a lot of questions.  The stuff I got was to keep them covered well with soil as light can cause potatoes to be green especially on light colored skins like Kennebecs. I dig a trench 12 inches deep toss in the seed with 2-3 eyes and cover with a little soil, when I see stems/leaves I cover almost to the top of the plant, and so forth until I am actually hilling higher than grade.  My interpretation of trimming is you are removing possible potaoes.  I would not trim anything and start low and go high for maximum yield.  
Great info, going to try this
1f60a.png

I haven't been on here in so long I totally forgot about Chickenstock. I had it in my head that it was happening last weekend for some reason . . . I hope everyone is having a blast. It's a gorgeous day for it.
Ah well. I am so far behind in yardwork alone (and housework too - apparently the maid is taking a hiatus) that I have to at least mow the lawn. That's the one thing the township will cite you on quickly.
I kept my 'big' chickens cooped today so my little ones that were hatched by my boss and his family could have some free range time while I mowed. I have them in a little tykes playhouse with the turkeys I got shortly after they hatched. I was hoping for 2 Toms and 4 hens - pretty sure these 2 are boys, lol.

Now I just have to wait and see if one is a White Midget and one is a Royal Palm or not. I bought 3 of each and didn't tag them #SMH.
Here's some of the little ones enjoying their outside time . . .

The bad thing is I think most of them are boys! I have very tolerant neighbors but I already have 10 roosters. If anyone is interested in a few of these little ones, let me know. I also have 23 ducklings that have hatched sporadically over the last month. If anyone is interested in a few or all, let me know. Ages range from hatched last night to 3 1/2 weeks old. They are Rouens and Rouen/Runner crosses. I have a generic Fawn and white Indian Runner drake, a nice pair of Rouens (courtesy of Raz), and a gorgeous pair of Holderreads Indian Runner hens that these ducklings are out of. I will cut a great deal if someone wants the whole lot of ducklings.
I also have a beautiful FB Copper Marans rooster available. I bought 3 cockerels intending to keep the best one of the 3 but they are all really nice quality. I am keeping two of them but 3 is just pushing it . . .

Last edited:
Well we made it home after our 4th annual Chickenstock. What a turnout! I bet there were at least 19 people in attendance and it was a GREAT time with some of the best people I have met so far! As usual I shot pictures and will post a few in as many days. Probably not as many so it's doubtful I'll put together a page in my photag accounts. I got a few good ones though. I do love you all and we'll be chatting soon enough - peace out! I need a nap...

wow!!,,, got home from CS a short time before DH he and son #1 were at a black powder shoot in Howard city.

Tucker and I had a wonderful time got to actually sit and talk to people this time. Such really nice people!! And of course
VERY GOOD FOOD! . yummy sweets and delicious venison, beans ect. Sorry so many of you decided to stay home as a great time was had by all

Thanks to all who put together such a great pic-nic. and thanks to Steve for carrying my tables down for me. Chick, sorry I didn't take some Iris, meant to get down and bag some up, hope the house hunt goes well

got some cleaning done before fixing supper, should take Tucker for a walk, looks like it may rain tomorrow, and it will be pretty busy, with everyone coming up.

3sweet chicks for my chanteclair. she is very proud of her self. 1 broody is just impossible to break so I may have to let her set. she has been in and out of the broody breaker 4 times, with a fan on her bottom. not doing and good
he.gif
really don't need any more chicks.

Don't remember who said their maid was on vacation but I think mine went along as well as my grounds keeper. fortunately just my kids and their families are coming up and they are used to a little dirt. got the grass cut last night so I wouldn't have to worry about it today now all I have to do is get the bathrooms cleaned. My house needs painting too, Grand daughter offered to help me paint but I don't know how she can do that, working 16 hr. days and trying to maintain friends. The heart is willing, just not enough energy left at the end of the day.

I can relate to the broodyitis. I think I have had 10 hens go broody this summer. have been able to break some but it isn't easy if they have their mind set.

well got to go finish up a few things. just wanted to thank all that came to . CS..We had a great time

Back
Top Bottom