Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Hello Everyone! It has been probably a couple years since I've been on here and I'm looking for some help. I got home from work early this afternoon and noticed my Road Island Red was in the coop kind of slouched over and her feathers were all fluffed up. I didn't think nothing of it but she is still there hours later. I did pick her up and take her out once this afternoon and massaged her belly and butt and she let me do it which is highly unusual. No runny nose, her eyes and everything else look fine except for what I explained above. She was out free ranging yesterday. Does anyone have and advice, suggestions or thoughts on what could be wrong with her?

Thanks in advance.
Can she walk at all?
Is she eating/drinking?
Did you go over her real well, under all the feathers, looking for wounds?
I would put her in an isolation crate over night with only water, check her crop tonite, observe her poops and check crop again in the morning before feeding.

Can she walk at all?
Is she eating/drinking?
Did you go over her real well, under all the feathers, looking for wounds?
I would put her in an isolation crate over night with only water, check her crop tonite, observe her poops and check crop again in the morning before feeding.

Yes, she can walk. Not sure about eating or drinking. She is about 4 years old. I went over her pretty well. Already isolated but why only water? Thanks

lau.gif

sorry I can't help, how old is she? so hard to tell with chickens, does sound like she is not well, sorry,
Thanks. She is about 4. I isolated her and I guess I wait.

So you can check her crop function......... should be full at night and empty in morning.
Was she laying this summer?
Did she molt this fall?
What breed is she?

She is not eating or drinking. She rarely laid this summer and is a Road Island Red. I thought she was molting but now I'm not sure...

Quote: It can be near impossible to tell what's wrong with them, and thus impossible to treat.
Sorry to say that she may be at the end of her road....I lost a couple this summer.
One died during isolation and the other I had to euthanize...she was full of lesions and wouldn't have recovered. Sorry for your troubles...the NOT fun part of chickeneering.

It can be near impossible to tell what's wrong with them, and thus impossible to treat.
Sorry to say that she may be at the end of her road....I lost a couple this summer.
One died during isolation and the other I had to euthanize...she was full of lesions and wouldn't have recovered. Sorry for your troubles...the NOT fun part of chickeneering.

I'm especially sad because this is the first of my girls to go. Thank you aart.

Fun, how'd the coop construction go last weekend?

Well, we pretty much finished it, except for painting it. Oh, and putting a small chicken door to the pre-coop part of it. That's the part that's covered, but does not have flooring. There is a big door, but I would like a small one that I can just close/open from the back porch without having to get down the stairs. I'll post pictures once we're done.

I'm especially sad because this is the first of my girls to go.  Thank you aart.

MrCush, I'm so sorry because your going through this. I'm a new chicken mama, but I've had other kinds of pets troughout. I bred little lovebirds and parakeets, and lost several of them, and it was always so hard. I'm not very knowledgeable about chickens, but I do know that with our little birds if they are under the weather, sometimes just putting them in a warm place separate from the others and with some mush, it gives them enough energy to fight whatever it is it's ailling them. So maybe you could mix some ground up food (or chick starter) with a littlebit of yogurt and some water, it might help. I hope your girl gets to feeling better.

Well, we pretty much finished it, except for painting it. Oh, and putting a small chicken door to the pre-coop part of it. That's the part that's covered, but does not have flooring. There is a big door, but I would like a small one that I can just close/open from the back porch without having to get down the stairs. I'll post pictures once we're done.

Fun Im glad construction is moving right along for you.Can't wait to see pictures. :)

Back
Top Bottom