Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Quote: Have had a few 'sprain' a leg/foot.
It can happen, bad jump, hen fight, who knows.
If they are hobbling too badly for normal activity, I isolate them for most the day and sometimes the night.
Let them out once or twice a day to assess their movements...put them back in crate if still bad.
It can take a couple few days of rest, then weeks of milder limp to totally heal up.
Keep crate with flock, either in run and/or coop so you don't have to deal with re-integration.

Have had a few 'sprain' a leg/foot.
If they are hobbling too badly for normal activity, I isolate them for most the day and sometimes the night.
Let them out once or twice a day to assess their movements...put them back in crate if still bad.
It can take a couple few days of rest, then weeks of milder limp to totally heal up.
Keep crate with flock, either in run and/or coop so you don't have to deal with re-integration.

Good idea! I never would have thought about reintegration.

I have a special needs rooster I need to rehome.
I rescued Simon and was positive it was a girl. Nope. Simon is about five months old. Would anyone be interested??? He lost half his toes on the right foot to frost bite. It took a lot of work to treat and I'm very disappointed it's a rooster! He's incredibly friendly and pretty.

Have had a few 'sprain' a leg/foot.

Thanks, She is in a crate now. I'll let her out in the morning to see how she is doing. She did finally get up and make it to the back corner of the yard before sitting down again. But I decided a couple days of rest can't hurt.

I have a special needs rooster I need to rehome.
I rescued Simon and was positive it was a girl. Nope. Simon is about five months old. Would anyone be interested??? He lost half his toes on the right foot to frost bite. It took a lot of work to treat and I'm very disappointed it's a rooster! He's incredibly friendly and pretty.

What's the special needs now? Does he have a hard time getting around? What breed?

What's the special needs now? Does he have a hard time getting around? What breed?

He can walk but if he runs he starts hopping. He doesn't like to perch much, but can and just doesn't have good balance. He can still get around okay and it doesn't hurt him, he may just have perching issues? I think if he was really motivated he can do, I just don't have a perch in his cage right now. Simon is some type of red star cross.

Just as the AI has popped back into the news and I'm back to thinking bio security....a friend of my husbands bought a bunch of pigeons at the sale and dropped them in my chicken yard! No idea where they came from, if they are healthy. I can tell they don't have any creepy crawlies on them. I'm not sure what diseases they could spread. I don't think there is even anything special about them, they look like plain old rock doves. Anyone know anything about pigeons? My hubby said release or eat them. I don't want to release any domesticated animal and I don't want to butcher them. Some friends!

Just as the AI has popped back into the news and I'm back to thinking bio security....a friend of my husbands bought a bunch of pigeons at the sale and dropped them in my chicken yard! No idea where they came from, if they are healthy. I can tell they don't have any creepy crawlies on them. I'm not sure what diseases they could spread. I don't think there is even anything special about them, they look like plain old rock doves. Anyone know anything about pigeons? My hubby said release or eat them. I don't want to release any domesticated animal and I don't want to butcher them. Some friends!
I once found a young pigeon with a leg band on it, probably a failed homer in training. I tried keeping him in the covered pen with the turkeys. It worked ok until something got in and killed him. That was a LONG time ago though.

Back
Top Bottom