Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Hi Opa :)
1f495.png

Last edited:
I have some various pullets coming from Meyer Hatchery this year. One of my sons really wants me to add a White Crested Black Polish to the order for him, but from what I have read, they don't tend to do well in the cold (not to mention they aren't the greatest layers and tend to have smaller eggs). Does anyone have any experience with this breed with regards to how well they tolerate Michigan winters, or anything else we should know about this breed before I let him talk me into one?

Last edited:
Hi, I am looking for a cheap male goose. My goose is lonely and she needs a boyfriend. Would like it to be close to calhoun county. Please contact me at Jamiesbooks@yahoo. Thankyou

Anyone ever just go and sit with your birds? I decided to do that for a bit tonight. The one in the pictures is the friendliest of the flock. We call her 2 toes because she is missing the nail from the middle toe on each foot

Anyone ever just go and sit with your birds? I decided to do that for a bit tonight. The one in the pictures is the friendliest of the flock. We call her 2 toes because she is missing the nail from the middle toe on each foot
Almost every day, but I do not let them climb on me......
.......it's cute when they're chicks, but later can be a real drag.
I have one missing a nail too.

I have some various pullets coming from Meyer Hatchery this year.  One of my sons really wants me to add a White Crested Black Polish to the order for him, but from what I have read, they don't tend to do well in the cold (not to mention they aren't the greatest layers and tend to have smaller eggs).  Does anyone have any experience with this breed with regards to how well they tolerate Michigan winters, or anything else we should know about this breed before I let him talk me into one?

Taprock has Polish

I have some various pullets coming from Meyer Hatchery this year. One of my sons really wants me to add a White Crested Black Polish to the order for him, but from what I have read, they don't tend to do well in the cold (not to mention they aren't the greatest layers and tend to have smaller eggs). Does anyone have any experience with this breed with regards to how well they tolerate Michigan winters, or anything else we should know about this breed before I let him talk me into one?
My polish did ok all winter. My buff polish is a steady layer of medium sized white eggs. And despite what people say, they do ok with the predators too. But I have a lot of roosters and geese & they are pretty good guards against the hawks. They are lower on the pecking order. I would worry more about that than the cold. What other breeds are you getting?

I'm getting eggs! Lotsa eggs! More than I can use or move on, right now. My birds are separated into breeding groups, and after Easter I'll start saving eggs for hatching. Belgian d'Uccle millies, EE bantams, and white Chanteclers. Can't wait! Meanwhile, it's hard to pass on the TSC chicks.... Mary

My polish did ok all winter. My buff polish is a steady layer of medium sized white eggs. And despite what people say, they do ok with the predators too. But I have a lot of roosters and geese & they are pretty good guards against the hawks. They are lower on the pecking order. I would worry more about that than the cold. What other breeds are you getting?

I think I would get one of each if DH let me. LOL. Blasted chicken math! Actually, it's time to "retire" some of my older layers and a few roosters so they are getting replaced with some Marans, Easter Eggers, Buff and Lavender Orps, and a few others. Enough to give my coop and egg basket some variety. It's my first time ordering from a hatchery, so we'll see how that goes.

Back
Top Bottom