Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I just received an e-mail from TSC announcing that Chick Days is close. I'm sure you all were aware of that. Now I have to decide if I want to raise some fresh chicks or wait for the Imlay City sale later this spring.

Adding to this is the desire to raise some pheasants for my habitat restoration. The USDA biologist who oversees pheasant habitat restoration is coming out for a site survey on Thursday. If I can get a grant to help with the cost then the chick rearing will be decided for this year. Guess I better start making a few plans and contingencies.

Am really ambivalent about hatching/buying new chicks this year.
Chickeneering fire is burning low, time will tell if it's going to go completely out or not.

I have 26 pullets and hens, and used an inadequate light, 4am to 8am, until recently, when it burned out, probably for a few days before I noticed. The new light is better, and it's working, and days are longer anyway.
This winter the bantam ladies quit laying totally, and just started up a few days ago, and only the standard pullets were producing. I think the previous light was just wrong...
Mary

I've had a steady 7-9 eggs from 9 hens all winter long. Four of them should have had a moult but they haven't yet. I have no extra lighting in the coop other than that short period when I had the motion light hitting the coop window.

Today was a nice mix of sun and clouds with a temperature of 40 degrees. Hens all came out even though it snowed last night. It's supposed to get cold tonight and the next day or so followed by another warm up. It's about time to start tapping trees. I have to get my equipment together.

Back
Top Bottom