Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Hello! I just started wondering how all the Michigan peeps are doing in this strange time. Personally we are healthy and taking the self-isolation thing seriously. Luckily, the DH is able to work from home. Me, I can’t work as a dental hygienist. My other job, sometimes referred to by me as my “hobby job” as a veterinary assistant, is almost shut down as well. I have been called in only one once so far to help with a sick dog.

While I’m here can I pick some brains? (Not literally! That would break social-distancing rules! :sick) Can we talk water lines and frost-free hydrants? I know nothing about them, except I’d like to run water out to my barn. Right now, someone has a Ditch Witch on our road and is going to be running fiber optic cable for internet access to several homes. I asked him if he’d be interested in a side job to run a water line from our well to the barn. He said he would be able to do that but he has no plumbing skills.

What would be involved in this project? How hard would it be to hook up to the well and to install and hook up to a frost-free hydrant? I’m certainly not against hiring someone to do the hookup.

Would it be practical for the Ditch Witch guy to run the line now, and then at a later point get the hookups done by someone else? And what kind of water line would I want to put in?

Any advice or thoughts would be welcome!
Oh wow, wish I'd of seen this several days ago.... The type of pipe I'd recommend *was* standard white schedule 40pvc until about 6 months ago... This neat soft white coiled pex-like-pvc stuff is more resistant to freeze bursting & the price comparison to sch40 isn't to bad either. It's in Lowe's in 3 colors: white,red(for hot water lines), blue(for cold lines).the white is 1", the colors are 3/4 & I believe 1/2" as well.....

You could dig the trench, lay the underground section, bury the majority with extra sticking up. Put caps on both ends for temp. That will allow you time to plan out the last few feet and the fun of where to punch holes etal.

That 'lil guy' still have thee spray sack?
What's the current status of that little tyke now?
How's it feeling with that success?
At that time he did. He did give a little dribble of skunk squirt but was only a droplet or two. Not much of a odor to it. When I got him his eyes weren't even open yet. I weaned him with kitten formula. I had him for quite a while until a nosy neighbor saw this photo on the intereweb and she turned me into the cops. I got a ticket even though I was caring for him under the guidance of a licensed rehabber.
Anyway, I gave him to a fellow BYCer who already had a skunk, Her vet de-scented and neutered him. As far as I know that person still has him.

Second day on the new job...
We were divided in to our regular departments. I'm in Grocery Receiving. Today we cleaned and sanitized the dairy and cold food coolers. Meijer is really into cleanliness and sanitation throughout the store. :thumbsup
There are still glitches in the computer side of the job like clocking in. So we sign in on paper and the leaders enter our work time. Starting tomorrow all employees will go through a health check before they can start their shift. If you fail the check up you are sent home with 2 hours pay. In certain cases, you may be sent home for a 14 day quarantine and still get paid. You can also request a self imposed quarantine. That case is unpaid but you won't lose any seniority or benefits.

@rose, I did use the ladder cart today. Two steps up to reach the higher parts that needed to be cleaned. I also used the ladders when I got home and was doing chores. Even climbed up on the roof of the garage. I was kind of nervous/gun shy about it. But I got through it OK.

Foot is feeling better but I'm still using the cane at work. It's more mental crutch than physical.;) Anyway, it's bedtime now because 5 am will be here much too soon.

Stay safe and stay away.

Growing up in Battle Creek, I always preferred Meijer to other grocery stores.... Then in the early 90's (in Jax, FL iirc) I went into a Wally world and had a awkward feeling..... It took about 10 minutes then it dawned on me. That Wally world was an exact floorplan design of the Meijer back in Battle Creek, with once difference - they flipped it 180. I had a laugh and a few friends were like, "what are you laughing about...."

Stay safe and as sane as possible!

I like Meijer. One stop shopping. Built a new one in Davison a couple of years before we moved. It was a smaller one, which I didn't understand because there was no big grocery close by. Built a new TSC down the road too. It was nice having things close by.
Just be careful on those ladders, Randy!! I know you have to get things done, and have no choice. Ladder cart is safer, at least it has a platform to stand on. Can you bring one home?
Think I'll take the tarps down from around the run today. Suppose to be nice out. I'll be out with the chickens.
Be safe. Stay home. Get out in your backyard and enjoy the the sun today.

Our first early daffodils bloomed today! Yahoo!
Family came over, maintaining distancing outside, so the three year old 'birthday girl' could pet one of the mares, find an egg in the coop, and generally have a good time. Her younger brother managed to not eat the stuff he kept picking up in the yard, so everyone was happy. It was nice to have them over, but weird to not have them close, or in the house, or anything...
So tonight I lost my mind __again__ and ordered fifteen more chicks from Cackle, coming (I hope) in May. If all goes well, I'll have white Chanteclers, and then Buckeyes and Speckled Sussex, and maybe Marans extra. We'll see.
Mary

It was nice to have them over, but weird to not have them close, or in the house, or anything...
I'll bet...will be experiencing this next week.
I guess it's better to see their faces in real life, from 10' away, than tell them not to come?
My DD is in MI to support her Dad after his wife's death from cancer.
She wants to stop by here on her way back to NC,
am tempted to tell her no, but....and...how do you not hug your child when she's grieving?
Whew, Strange Times.

Yes, daffodils are popping open all over here.
Haven't cut any in years, but couldn't resist bringing in a handful.
1585999346004.png

Back
Top Bottom