Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Our house has shade from big trees, and very good attic insulation and good windows, so closing it up during the day helps a lot. Also having a whole house fan, and opening the windows when it cools down at night, make it a lot better.
This prolonged heat wave, especially not cooling off enough at night, makes the wall AC units worthwhile. Can't wait for the next electric bill though...
Mary

My house is well insulated with good windows, so we keep it closed up during the day with ceiling fans running, and open it up at night to cool back down. It stays around 10 degrees cooler inside than out, and with the fans running is it comfortable. I know it sounds counter-intuitive to seal the house during the day, but it keeps the hot, humid air on the outside. I don't think that would work in a house that was not very well insulated.
Nope, I close up the house during the day too, and draw heavy curtains to block the sun.....and have a whole house fan to cool the house, and purge the attic, later in day.
But that cooler night air is the most humid part of the 'day' and eventually the balance tips.
Using the fan is probably a mistake, due to drawing in the humidity, but <shurgs>

Will just have to live with the heat and humidity.
Have occasionally explored all the various options over the last 20 years.
None are really effective in this house.
Used to have a window unit in bedroom, was necessary when I was working.
Hated the noise too....and one room cooled only makes the others feel terrible,
can't live in one room.
And most years the heat waves were of much shorter duration than this year,
wasn't worth dealing with the installation for only a few unbearable nights.
Only reason(mostly) I'm looking now is I am being pushed to do so by others, even tho I know it won't work out.
I don't have AC either. Have all electric so no ducts for central air. Looked at the other options as well. If I had air I could never work enough hours to pay the electric as my husband would have it snowing inside! I figure it would be cheaper to stay in a hotel for the few miserable nights we usually have.

As we've gotten
more mature', our tolerance for high heat has gone down, way down. AC feels really good!
Mary
I'm going to disagree with that statement, but with a caveat. The caveat is that if you have ever had open-heart surgery then you find that you can't take the chill or cold any more.
Even 50 degrees get me shivering these days. Add in the Raynold's Syndrome and I'm done.

And in a week or so I get to get frozen again for another chest zipper. :he

Back
Top Bottom