Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

About an inch of heavy wet snow this morning. It's "creaky" snow too, but it's a heavier creak than the squeaky creak of the dry cold snow. If that makes sense. :confused:

Hoping for the snow on the compost pile to melt so that the sunshine next week will thaw it out enough to turn. It's going to be the basis of my potting soil for starting 'maters and peppers. And whatever else I decide to start.

Woke up to about 3" of heavy wet snow.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 2
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 1
Hi, everyone. I am new here and at this. Just got 1 acre in Rothbury in the west Michigan area. I want to have a chickens but there seems to have a lot to be done. I am a disable veteran and I am kind of new to the State as well. Been in West Michigan for about 6 years. Learned to do a little bit of canning but now that I have a little more space, would like to have chickens. I grew up with chickens and ducks back home and honestly, never thought chickens could be kept here due to the cold weather. I hope I can learn and get oriented here as to what to do and how to do it. I was already told that I cannot have a rooster, which is a boomer. Roosters care for the hens but let's see how I can start. Someone told me that I can go to craigslist to find pallets or any unused coops to begin my journey with chickens. Please advise, which it is much needed. Thank you.
~Liz

Hi Dreamz, welcome to BYC and the Michigan thread :)

You may be able to find both an old coop and some chickens on Craigslist. There may be some people here on the Michigan thread who have birds they could pass along. I would offer you a few of my hens, but I'm up in the Upper Peninsula and it's an awfully long drive.

It's not terribly hard to make a really nice small coop for yourself if you're at all handy.

Welcome, Liz, and thank you for your service.

Tons of info on this site. If you want to learn about coops, or anything else to do with chickens, there is probably an article -- or several -- on it. If you have specific questions about something, just post and ask. Lots of very knowledgeable people here too.

Back
Top Bottom