Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

What's the best way to build my coop?
At minimum twice as big as the original thought.
I have done quite a bit of building in my lifetime and would be available at times on Saturday afternoons if any of you are interested. I have built at least a dozen chicken coops in the last fifteen years, some were experimental and to see if I would like them and others were more permanent. There is a fairly wide variety of materials that can be used. The regular OSB/chipboard if covered works well on the sides and the roof. If you want to line the inside with something you could do a slight upgrade and do an exterior grade plywood. I am a roofer by trade so I definitely have that covered. The company I work for specializes in standing seam metal roofing.

Happy Mother's Day everyone! :jumpy🐥🐤❤️
Mothers Day Mom GIF by Angry Birds

Hello everyone! So much or so little, I have no clue as to how to label it all. The tar paper that was put up was the one that needed a heat gun to melt the tar or whatever. Anyways, I got a 30 and it was place right on top and it had metal tips all around. When it comes to the paper before shingles, it has more than enough.
No water inside so far even though it has been raining on and off. Last time I mopped 3 buckets full. So all of the openings for pop door and other places have been shut/sealed/covered for the moment. There is a door in front and all it needs if aesthetics, I guess and a latch and handle. Inside he put hardware cloth in every area that was opened because I asked for it. We are putting a metal soffit under and he said that with that nothing should go inside but I wanted to make sure. He is working on the perching area with an under board. He also said that he needs to go back down under it and see if he can stabilize it even more because he does not feel it is secure enough. So he is planning on beefing it up. I dug on the back side about 7 inches and began to put the hardware cloth under and I am planning to put big rocks and some small rocks to help with drainage. So far, pretty busy.

Sophia is the smallest of the original girls and the most "stupid" so I put her inside with the new golden lace and Tamera tried to pick at her, so I removed her right away. Sophia is a wussy chick. She went back to her old gang. I am kind of puzzled as to how is going to work out. The new girls are 7wks old and the originals are 11wks. I hope that I can get them all to be together. DX will kill me if I say, we need another coop, :lau He told me today that he is under a lot of pressure from work and this and he wants me to move the chicks in today or tomorrow.
I can't do it. They have no space where they are at but I am not ready to let go. I know that we can moved them to the henspital for a few hours when more needs to be done but at least they are in a 10x12 area instead of a cow water container.
How can spend mother's day with my babies outside?
ok, I need to go back outside.
love ya all! insidefullofwater1.jpg backsidebottom2.jpg
backsidebottom1.jpg frontdoor1.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom