Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Hi All - what a beautiful day! Ive been slowly cleaning up the property and burning a lot of old wood that needed cleaning up! Tractor hasn’t arrived yet but looking forward to it. I discovered some lily of the valley today in the woods and another really pretty white flower that I am not sure what it is. It has been fun to see what the legacy is that the prior owners left. The original owner was Hazel. I think in her day she was a gardener. I’m finding some beautiful flowers popping up.

My hen, butterscotch that was limping a couple of months ago has started to limp again. I’m not sure what to do for her. She’s my most talkative of the girls and I hope shes not squeaking bc she is in pain. This is the third time she has limped this year.

My chicks are supposed to be shipped on Monday!! I’m getting 4 more and so excited for their arrival. @riss... have your chicks arrived? Pics? @Sally PB....yours arrive in June right? @Folly's place....how are your littles doing? @aart you got a few new ones too if I remember? @RaZ ...did you find your duck? @Dreamzchaser....the coop looks amazing. Keep the faith.

I have been composting the manure and am wondering if any of you also compost food waste in the same pile or a separate pile. Just curious. I got some pallets that I want to make a bin out of.

Have a happy day everyone!
83930B6C-AD70-4034-BB68-D90686E06486.jpeg

Yesterday, I called our usual vet and told her what has been going on with Mara. She got us in to one of the emergency vet hospitals.

--More involved ultrasound to look for any gut issues
--Bile test for liver function
--More involved blood work

It took about 9 hours for everything, but it is an emergency hospital, and we didn't have an emergency, so they fit us around other cases.

Soooo. No liver issues, good. Nothing showing up on ultrasounds, good. Blood work shows low protein and glucose. She's on a steroid now, and a special food. They suspect IBS, but couldn't rule out a different gut issue, which might need surgery to find/treat.

The vet thought the seizures might be from a sudden drop in blood pressure, but couldn't rule out neurological causes.

So we're monitoring symptoms and hoping things improve. She did have 3 soft-solid poops today, that is a very good thing.

Thanks to everyone for their good wishes. I really appreciate it.

I would love to learn more and possibly attempt meat birds. Do you process the birds yourself?
I don't slaughter meat birds per se.....just the extra cockerels(at ~14wo) I hatch and older hens to get the population down the winter numbers. I do the slaughtering and butchering myself.

I hear rain... :wee:celebrate:yesss:
It's kinda raining here, enough to set off the rain chimes(drips off the eaves),
but not really a decent rain.
Looks like you are getting more up there.

Hi Everyone:

Glad everyone is having great times outdoors. Some have so many chores outside is not even funny. But it is a peaceful life and I regret not getting into it a lot younger.

I am glad that everything is better for Mara. I will keep praying for her. People might not believe and that is ok with me. I do and I know it works. Everything was made by Him for all of us to enjoy. I pray for our chickens and pets because they were given to us to enjoy them and to care for them.

On another note: coop is not complete but was secured enough to let them out last night. I was a bit worried because cannot see them as usual. I guess it was a bit cold last night and found out they all slept in a corner. They did not cared for ma at all this morning. I guess they were mad at me after being used to staying warm at all times, :lau

But they have a lot of space to run around. I tried putting all in there but the big ones got over the new ones and I pulled them out. They moved into the big container for now and they are getting used to me hand-feeding them. It is like back to the beginning, :eek:

@aart we need pictures of your new chicks. I would process my chickens myself when I need to. I grew up and my grandma used to do it at home. My brother was a slaughterer for sure. I saw a post on facebook of someone offering those services.

Anyways, I will be taking my computer down tomorrow and taking it to Muskegon to my trusted friends at Crashmasters. They are very good and hopefully, they can put it the way I like it. This one works but the software is so different.

I might be able to use my laptop and if I can, I will load pictures of the chicks in their new home. Today is nice and windy and they are having a blast. I sat by the door open so they get the wind from the south. Then in the winter, the wind will blow from the north and they will be covered. I will leave a big part open facing the east until it get too cold.

I need to go and check aart's coop for the ladder/ramp to the perch. Mine is too high for them, so I will need to get something for it. Catch up later. Love you all!

~Hugs~n~Kisses~

Back
Top Bottom