Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

:oops:I don't know enough about breeding to know what that question means. He's hatchery stock (from TSC last year). Here's another picture.

Another ignorant question... why the 6 month quarantine? I thought 30 days was the usual...?
He has good shape, not as great as my original Buff Orpington(Was also hatchery Stock)

6 months will allow me to monitor everything, that means if he shows any symptoms of any type of disease, I'll have to figure out what to do with him.

Same thing I was going to say.. I just laid the hardware cloth on the ground, tacked it down. Can't see it at all.
Dream, I have shade cloth that I'm not using. But, I'm in the Lansing area. Don't know exactly where you are located, but we camp often on the west side of the state. Maybe we can work something out.....
RaZ, we don't have the moths here. Would Hate to see the tress stripped. Hopefully the trees can recover. How long are those nasty things suppose to be around?
Depends where west from Lansing. I am near Ludington and Hart. Send me message. I make it work. Shoots, I travel to Ann Arbor every so often and by doctor's orders, i need to go away once a week to relate to nature. Chickens are part of nature,lol

Actually a good rain is going to shoot all that water against your house, and windows and yes, will wreck havoc on your foundation. If you get a good strong wind, they are likely to get ripped up. So, I highly recommend you string a chalk line about and 2 inches or so past the edge of your roof underneath, to leave a lip. ( with your low roof pitch it could easily syphon water back up underneath the metal roofing) and cut that extra metal off. You may also be able to add gutters at least on the house side (and to direct into a barrel to save rain water). An angle grinder with a metal cutting wheel will do the trick. You'll need several wheels as they wear quickly.
I read this more than 3 times and still do not understand much but yes, I need to have that extra cut out. I will get to it. It will be raining all day today but will do so. Now I am worried about the foundation of the trailer house. I call it trailer even though they classify it as a manufactured house. It had metal under it,lol

There's a gutter on the house......but yeah, I agree with the others coop roof may make a real mess with its run off.
How did you know there were gutters in the house? You are good at small details from previous pictures. Yes there is gutters around the whole house. The space between the house and the coop is about 2 to 3 ft. I was thinking a few days back about putting rocks for drainage. Is that a good idea?

Last edited:
It will be raining all day today
Good time to see what the runoff from the coop roof will do and where it will go.
Especially when it's raining really hard, put on your raincoat and rubber boots and grab an umbrella and go out an watch, how it come off the roof and what it does when it hits the ground. Take video if you can.

How did you know there were gutters in the house? You are good at small details from previous pictures.
I see that stuff. :D

Morning Everyone! No rain yet. Waiting on Hub to be back from work,(which will not last longer because he does not like that shift and I do not blame him because after 50 that is not a good shift to start, lol) so that I can go and meet a friend for breakfast. Have not done this since 2019. Then come back and hopefully some work out there.

Will do my best to do that Aart. However, there has not been any heavy rain but just really constant sprinkling.

Morning Everyone! No rain yet. Waiting on Hub to be back from work,(which will not last longer because he does not like that shift and I do not blame him because after 50 that is not a good shift to start, lol) so that I can go and meet a friend for breakfast. Have not done this since 2019. Then come back and hopefully some work out there.

Will do my best to do that Aart. However, there has not been any heavy rain but just really constant sprinkling.
it has not stopped raining for 2 days here, ok we need the rain.
about the space between the house and the coop, if you can get a down slope, away from the buildings. you may be able to put cement like a ditch to carry the water away, maybe even very heavy plastic under rocks might do the trick, but you need to guide it away from your house.
We are fighting that issue now because our gutters dump to close to the house, and we have clay soil, and a high water table.

A friend came up yesterday to help me get the stuff in the garage ready for a sale. Hopefully I can get it ready soon. I was shooting for July 4th weekend but I have to work the whole weekend. I need to get rid of this junk, it's overwhelming. Plus I need any cash I can get from it.

I applied for Social Security but I guess it takes a month or so. All I know is that I can't keep working where I am. Tore something in my shoulder recently and my broken foot is acting up again. If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself. :old

There has been a nice steady rain all day so far. We sure need it here. I feel bad for the farmers.. The fields are parched. The only down side of the rain is all the caterpillar poop on the deck. It's a slippery, gooey mess.

The critters are all doing well.

Back
Top Bottom