Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Well I am pretty much down in the dumps. Last week and a half has been brutal. Work is purging the "old timers" who where there from the beginning to get the store operational. I have high seniority and have been targeted for micro-management of my daily tasks. Got written up four (4) times last week for nonsense offenses like clocking in a minute too early and NOT taking a full 15 minute break. A paid break at that. I had my hours cut back severely to the point that working the scheduled five (5) days should have been twenty (20) hours but was pared back to a total of 10.98 hours. My take home pay was $50.63. Not even enough to buy gas for the upcoming week.

To makes matters worse, a neighbor had a friend who had a Golden Retriever puppy that needed a home. I said that I would take him and the deal was all set for me to get him today. I was SO looking forward to having a new pupper. My neighbor was busy and "forgot" to make the follow-up call. The pup was adopted by someone else before I got home. My day was devastated. I feel betrayed by people that got my hopes up. I'm upset with myself for letting my hopes get so high. What an effed up day.

Well I am pretty much down in the dumps. Last week and a half has been brutal. Work is purging the "old timers" who where there from the beginning to get the store operational. I have high seniority and have been targeted for micro-management of my daily tasks. Got written up four (4) times last week for nonsense offenses like clocking in a minute too early and NOT taking a full 15 minute break. A paid break at that. I had my hours cut back severely to the point that working the scheduled five (5) days should have been twenty (20) hours but was pared back to a total of 10.98 hours. My take home pay was $50.63. Not even enough to buy gas for the upcoming week.

To makes matters worse, a neighbor had a friend who had a Golden Retriever puppy that needed a home. I said that I would take him and the deal was all set for me to get him today. I was SO looking forward to having a new pupper. My neighbor was busy and "forgot" to make the follow-up call. The pup was adopted by someone else before I got home. My day was devastated. I feel betrayed by people that got my hopes up. I'm upset with myself for letting my hopes get so high. What an effed up day.
I knkw the feeling about the excitement of getting a new puppy but think of it as now that money you would have saved on puppy food and vet visits you can now use that money for something else like gas. Your work sounds like it’s a super buzz kill right now but we are all here for you and supporting you along the way

Don't know if that's just going on with age but I feel like the older everyone gets the more cranky they are with everyone
I see this, and also the opposite. I think it depends on who you are inside.

I find myself MORE patient with some people. People who are going through struggles I have gone through myself, or can relate to directly. I know a lot, and I mean, a LOT of people have helped me along on my way, and I want to pay that back or pay it forward to someone else.

I find myself LESS patient with BS. But I have (hopefully!) learned when to keep my mouth shut. :he <-- doing this only give you a headache. Some people just have to make the mistake to learn the lesson. Some mistakes will cost us all, unfortunately. History has shown us that many times.

Yeah, I know. Some of the BS comes from people who have the power to make you (us, the public) do stuff. Like most great upheavals in society, the pandemic has brought out the best and worst of us.

Someone told me that money makes you more of what you already are. If you are a kind, generous person, you become more kind and generous. If you are a jerk, you become a bigger jerk.

I think that is kind of true about age too.

I'm so sorry, Raz. Corporate work can be brutal. It has saved my sanity to work for myself (and my clients) and not have to follow orders I find unreasonable or incorrect.

I knkw the feeling about the excitement of getting a new puppy but think of it as now that money you would have saved on puppy food and vet visits you can now use that money for something else like gas. Your work sounds like it’s a super buzz kill right now but we are all here for you and supporting you along the way

Well said.

Sounds like bad corporate culture @RaZ. Other companies are looking for good workers and are willing to pay them. Search out other places that are hiring. Or perhaps if there is a company that you would like to work for, stop in and ask if they are hiring. I know a lot of private companies here are short staffed but don’t have help wanted signs posted.

I’m sorry you have to deal with poorly behaved adult children. One thing I have discovered in this ordeal is how people have gotten used to being impolite and how social media has really erased people having manners. I am lucky to have found you all, but our manners as a society have devolved. Disappointing to say the least.

One thing I have discovered in this ordeal is how people have gotten used to being impolite and how social media has really erased people having manners. I am lucky to have found you all, but our manners as a society have devolved. Disappointing to say the least.
There are no repercussions for what you say when you're anonymous online. Sigh.

That sux RAZ.. I'd take all that time they give you off now, to be looking for another job. That seems to be the only way to get ahead these days.
I'll be looking. There isn't much in this area. Mostly low wage grunt jobs or nasty foundry work and I'm too old for that nonsense. Engineering jobs are all in the city and that's too far to drive every day.
I did contract/consulting engineering all of my lifer and traveled a lot. I'd like to stay in one place for awhile. Hopefully social security will come through soon. They called back but I can't return the call until I get my phone fixed or replaced. That's top priority for the next paycheck. After the animals get feed, of course. :D

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. @RaZ…I’m sending good vibes your way that things work out for you this week. It can’t be easy working through stressful times.

I had an old friend come to town for a visit. She said to me when she arrived…”I don’t get the chicken thing”….when she left, she said…”Oh my gosh, chickens have personalities, I totally get wh you have them. They are better company than most people”….and she was taking selfies with the girls! She’s right!!
I told her if you think the chickens are great you should see the the other people who keep chickens that I am connected with….they have it figured out!!

it isn’t always easy but life is a little sweeter with them. We cooked and hiked this weekend and caught up on the past 4 years we missed. It was a great weekend. Now I am going to attempt to replace the blade on my push mower. The current blade looks like a beat up butter knife😳

enjoy the sunshine.

Back
Top Bottom