Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Had plans for today but he decided to fix the roof of the chicken run because of a few leaks. So he took it all off. Then my new job is to sit and watch for hawks,lol

My poor Rachel got stung by a bee on one side of her face. She is acting normal so I will let nature work it's way as God intended.

And of course, P2fa watching with me lol
16566061056245409508958309968829.jpg

Hot today. I was working on the anti-dig apron for the garden, and I used up all the pieces of metal roofing. Next, I'll take the bits and pieces of chicken wire I have sitting around, and use them. After those are gone, I'll cut up some of the junky pieces of fence that used to be around the garden.

I saw two Japanese Beetles on my asparagus. JB hunting season is about to begin. Free protein for the chickens. Oh, girls...? Bug snack!

It wasn't hot enough as far as I was concerned. But that is just me.
Last night was down right chilly. Hit the 50's overnight.

The little ducklings were just fine, clustered under one of the hens. They were out all day following the mother hens or left behind as mother ducks went foraging. It is quite entertaining to watch the flock dynamics. I have 20 ducklings that hatched. A few eggs were not viable and a couple of hatchlings died in shell. Dammit.

Overall, everything is is working out as well as can be expected.

@Folly's place, I was reading up on Chanteclers. I've read that they don't bear confinement well. And that they do. :confused: I don't free range, as there are too many possible predators, land and sky.

I have 6 hens. My run is about 164 sf, the coop is about 47 sf. The coop pop and people door is open all day, except for the few days when we get nasty cold, like 0 to 5 degrees.

Would your boy do well in this set up? I'm giving this a lot of thought. What's his name, by the way?

Back
Top Bottom