Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Morning! Just to report, I have 4 out of 4. đź’Ż% beautiful puff balls. I kind of forgot of the Sweet sound they make and got used to their screaming,lol
She saw me going in to say good morning and she kicked them all out so that I could see them all 4. 3 are dark and one light. They might change color. Have a good 4th of July!!

One more of the same kind of mystery beetle on the asparagus. Well, insect for sure.
Also, we are up to four ladybug beetles, yay! And I hope the mystery beetle is a predator also.

I am getting a LOT fewer asparagus beetle larva. The chickens are a bit disappointed to be getting only a couple of dozen per picking. They will get over it because I like asparagus.

It might be just timing, though, and not predators moving in. I might have most of the first generation picked off or they are in the pupa stage. Evidently the asparagus beetles have two generations each year. They overwinter as adults, lay eggs on the spears, the larva feed off the asparagus, drop to the ground, emerge as the adults that lay eggs that are the second generation. The second generation develops to adulthood and overwinter. It doesn't quite fit because of how many adults I'm finding now. I don't know if these adults are the first generation or the second generation.

reminds me of a spotted stink bug, but its markings are a bit off, if my memory is correct.
I found a different bug on the potatoes that I thought was a spotted stink bug - evidently, there are several invasive species stink bugs that are different from the kind that I came across as a kid once or twice.

Evidently, some of the new kinds are predators and some not. And some eat both insects and plants.

I need to read up on them again, I'm not sure.

Saw the second Japanese beetle today. I'm hoping seeing only one every third day means the four oclocks last year worked. But it is too soon to tell.

Gardening is a LOT harder than it was 40 years ago, when we had a lot fewer invasive insect species.

Attachments

• CD7DAB6B-CD33-468D-8705-35367A7D9C50.jpeg
    CD7DAB6B-CD33-468D-8705-35367A7D9C50.jpeg
    495.3 KB · Views: 1
This is how the hatching ducklings fared: Sunday 14 hatched; Monday saw another 3; then Tuesday 2 more. 4 eggs left in the nest. 2 eggs died in shell and 2 were duds. 3 littles "failed to thrive" leaving a total of 17 healthy ducklings, all looking like Rouen chicks. Not one of the fuzz butts looks like a typical Khaki Campbell. The KC hen cares for all of them along with the Rouen hen. And papa Rouen struts around like he is doing something important but it's all for show. The females are clearly in charge.

No issues with having adult chickens sharing the same coop. All birds are going into the coop at night. I hope I can rehome most of the ducklings in a month or so, or else I'll have to build another coop. 20 ducks and a dozen chickens are more than my coop can properly hold.

It looks like I'm going to have to have a rotator cuff repaired. Waiting on the PCP referral to a surgeon for a proper medical opinion. Getting old ain't for sissies. :old

Back
Top Bottom