Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Thanks for the pictures, @Folly's place. It really helps to see the younger plant too.

I am getting a LOT fewer asparagus beetle larva. The chickens are a bit disappointed to be getting only a couple of dozen per picking. They will get over it because I like asparagus.
I check for those ugly slugs every day. I still see a few adults, but not many. I did find 2 Japanese Beetles today too. It'll be hunting season in another day or so.

I watered both gardens today. The tomatoes are looking good, though a little stressed by the heat, I think. I have a couple that are about the size of tennis ball, and lots that are smaller. I have a reason to really NEED all of my plants to produce well now: my friend's tomato plants have been ravaged by deer! I didn't think they'd eat tomato and potato plants, but they have been after hers, and done a lot of damage. I promised to share some of our bounty.

My potato plants are looking good. I'll hill them up for the last time tomorrow morning. I need to do it when the soil is still cool, because that sand gets HOT in the sunshine.

My neighbor who cans 100-150 quarts of tomatoes every year had a bad fall yesterday. She grabbed at a fence to break her fall, and proceeded to break her shoulder "like taking a drumstick off a chicken," she said. She will have surgery next week. I talked with another neighbor and said I was going to offer to help with/or do her canning, and the neighbor said she would be glad to help too.

The neighbor is in her middle 60s, and I know that we don't heal that quickly at our age. This woman does soooo much to help her daughter, son-in-law and their kids. I hope they can help her in her time of need.

My neighbor who cans 100-150 quarts of tomatoes every year had a bad fall yesterday. She grabbed at a fence to break her fall, and proceeded to break her shoulder "like taking a drumstick off a chicken," she said. She will have surgery next week. I talked with another neighbor and said I was going to offer to help with/or do her canning, and the neighbor said she would be glad to help too.

The neighbor is in her middle 60s, and I know that we don't heal that quickly at our age. This woman does soooo much to help her daughter, son-in-law and their kids. I hope they can help her in her time of need.
Oh no.
I helped a neighbor/friend today with some yard work. He had surgery a few weeks ago and is still in recovery. It's nice to have someone close by to help in times of need. I think overall, he has helped me more than I've helped him, but like he says "no one is keeping score".

Yes, I think it is a nymph of the Perillus circumcinctus. Yeah. It likes marigolds. I have several that are doing well in the garden but I think I will plant a few more. Maybe some near the baby fruit trees too.
Was thinking this was a nymph too.

Did you do any PT for your shoulder? I had an issue with my rotator cuff and PT has made it all better.
Same here, they wouldn't even let me get an xray without PT first(back when I actually had insurance). The PT was great and I learned a lot about how to keep things working without pain. Course you have to be willing to pay attention to your body and actually do the tedious work.

Happy 4th! Be safe. Next door neighbors had a huge display last night. Was worried about the dogs, but the two that are terrified of them didn't react at all. Knew they were hard of hearing, but I think it's past that now. Both are 14yrs old at the end of the month. Hot one today. Glad it's suppose to get cloudy later as we're going to the Lugnuts game tonight.

Hoping they're right about rain tonight. I'm doing my rain dance.

PT was hard work, but the results were VERY worth it to me.

The supervisor of where I worked resented me going 2x a week, but ya know, if he'd kept the ice and snow off the pavement, maybe I wouldn't have slipped and fallen at work. "It's not in the budget," he kept saying. But my broken wrist was, I guess.

I took the chickens some Japanese Beetles today. It's the beginning of bug hunting season!

Stormy jumped on my lap, even though I didn't have any treats to hand feed her. I thought she was going to sit, but she pooped instead. I wonder if that was a comment on my not bringing spinach leaves to give her? :lau

I was ready for a shower anyway.

This is what happens when you leave your ceramic pot outside in all seasons.
6BE530E9-3481-4500-A3AF-8BAB88F1DF79.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom