Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Well, long day. And after the neighborly feud,spent most morning at the township. I am nor a phone person so went personally. Told them about my problem and besides telling me that he is a donkey,so I do not repeat their word,lol; they gave a copy that states the I am allowed 1 big animal (horse,cow...) per acre. 5 small animals (goats,pigs...) and 25 poultry (chickens,ducks...) but no roosters for residential zone. That threw me off so went to the zoning map and could not figure it out. After my video appointment went back. They got the map and they had been talking about my property and it is grandfathered in because it was part of a 20 acre property before it was zoned. So, I sit on 1.5 acre in zone A 10. Meaning fully agricultural and no limits on any livestock I want and can even put a vending table that at least 75% is produced in my little homestead. :wee :lau:lau:thumbsup Oh poor neighbor. They told me that he had never attended any township meeting, so tomorrow will get all pretty with high heels and will attend the monthly township meeting. ( no high heels)
Then came a let the kids out to play. The new cockerels are starting to mount his mom and they are rough on her. She screams so hard. So they went to jail for the afternoon part of the day and tonight. On the other hand, Pitbull is not being to aggressive with the others and he snucked into the big coop, planted himself in a corner and did not moved. Sleek boy! He is sleeping with them all. Let's see what happens tomorrow.
Began taking the posts out and just the tomato and peppers plants stand. But have appointment early for my hair, and do not want to mess it up before the meeting tomorrow night,lol
Need to also figure out how to close the small house door instead of a cinder block,lol
Then need to cover the chicken run with plastic and get the extension cords ready for the heated waterers oh, I need a new heating board. One burned out last year. Forgot about that. Good night!

Howdy fellow Michiganders :)
I am curious what you all use for waterers in the winter? My first 3 years keeping chickens back in 2014-2016 I burned through a large red & white plastic heated waterer from Tractor supply each year, the next year I ordered a gray and white plastic heated waterer off amazon & it lasted 2 years. I spend a couple years just changing out the water every day, then last year I got a heated pad and put that under my regular plastic waterer and it works well. I may be repurposing a 10x12 shed as a new coop and thought I might upgrade my water and feed situation. I have seem some good comments about just using a heated dog water bowl. What do you all use that works in the winter? There will be electric run out to the coop and currently only have 8 birds.

Howdy fellow Michiganders :)
I am curious what you all use for waterers in the winter? My first 3 years keeping chickens back in 2014-2016 I burned through a large red & white plastic heated waterer from Tractor supply each year, the next year I ordered a gray and white plastic heated waterer off amazon & it lasted 2 years. I spend a couple years just changing out the water every day, then last year I got a heated pad and put that under my regular plastic waterer and it works well. I may be repurposing a 10x12 shed as a new coop and thought I might upgrade my water and feed situation. I have seem some good comments about just using a heated dog water bowl. What do you all use that works in the winter? There will be electric run out to the coop and currently only have 8 birds.

Not sure why that posted before I typed my reply...
We like the heated horizontal nipple waterer from Premier1. It was worth the cost. I actually wouldn't mind having one more. We currently have 3 pens (older hens, broilers and new little pullets). The older hens will be butchered when the littles start laying and the broilers will be gone in a few weeks so I think we'll manage ok with only the one.

If you have a rooster with big wattles, he might get a frozen wattle dipping it into a dog bowl. ONCE we had a rooster with frozen toes, I think because he walked into the water dish.
I use the metal waterers on top of the metal heaters. like @1muttsfan , and like them.
Make sure your coop wiring is good!
Today a pheasant walked through our front yard!!! haven't seen a pheasant here in a long time, loved it!
Mary

Hi everyone! Nothing, did squat nothing today. Got my hair done in the morning and since planned on that townhall meeting and watch shows recordings, slept all afternoon after doing 3 beanies.
Went to the meeting. I guess I was expecting something else,lol Well, after all, still a city girl trying to go country,lol
Have not talked to hub but he was very weird looking at me. Don't even care. Tomorrow will see what trouble I can make,lol

for my waterer and feed, I put together a table from an old pallet and sat my feeder and water up on top of that in my coop. I put chicken wire around 3 sides of the table and with 2 panels from a doggy pen I can use it to isolate a chicken for a while, just have to be on it daily with food and water when its cold. Keeps them from kicking up straw and litter into their food and water having it elevated off the floor, and I think that it gives them more floor space to hang out with. Actually probably need to go find a new pallet soon to build a new one as its getting pretty rickety at this point, and not sure I would want to trust it with a full waterer and at least 50 pounds of feed in the feeder. Especially if I had a bird under it in the little cage part.

Back
Top Bottom