Mid-incubation tips

gimmie birdies

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Eastern WA
Day 12 is when if you have a bad egg it may explode, day 14 chick is getting into hatch position, they say to candle then, I would rather candle day 16, because then if you candle the pointy end of the egg it should be dark. Now if you have mid incubation tips, list below.

If you are hand turning or with a auto turner that can be adjusted, you can start slowing down on the number of turns per day.
Frequent turning is way more essential the first 10 days.
If you are going to do a mid-term daily cool down or a one time ascorbic acid dip, now is the time to do so.

If you are hand turning or with a auto turner that can be adjusted, you can start slowing down on the number of turns per day.
Frequent turning is way more essential the first 10 days.
If you are going to do a mid-term daily cool down or a one time ascorbic acid dip, now is the time to do so.
That's interesting.
Wonders if I should change turning from 6 to 4 on my Incuview?

What's the ascorbic acid dip for?
...and the 'daily cool down'?

That's interesting.
Wonders if I should change turning from 6 to 4 on my Incuview?

What's the ascorbic acid dip for?
...and the 'daily cool down'?
With egg turning, I'll have to look it up but I read that studies of jungle fowl showed hens turn eggs many more times a day during the first week of incubation and not as frequently later. I'll come up with the numbers when I find it.

Cool down mimics nature.

Here is a research study on vitamin C and cooling.
http://www.epsaegypt.com/pdf/2011_june/15- 1271.pdf
Even though most birds can make their own vitamin C, the embryo provided ascorbic acid helps it deal with stress, especially at hatching.

A hen gets off the nest approximately once a day or even less. With hens in their own broody apartment on fresh bedding, I've been able to count the days they defecate and that tells me they don't necessarily come off the nest every single day. They occasionally skip days. But when they come off the nest, the eggs cool briefly. That has long been understood to benefit the embryo. Embryos from the same parents will have the same genes but gene expression can be affected by temperature changes.
Further research shows that post hatch development, especially of musculature can be enhanced by brief periods of higher temperatures in days 4-7. Also, temperature spikes at days 18 and 19 help the bird deal with higher temps later in life.

Other research shows that exposing the eggs to light periodically during incubation enhances the health of the hatchling. I surmise that would coincide with the cool down period. However, I believe the frequency (color) of light is the important parameter.

You may find this read interesting.
http://issuu.com/pasreform/docs/pas_reform_circadian_incubation/5?e=1715832/5683407

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom