Midnight Peafowl Actual Color?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by MinxFox, Sep 25, 2014.

1. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Well I finished illustrating the Midnight peacock and then was on Conner Hill's website to look at photos of violetes so that I could illustrate one, and then I realized that his midnight peafowl look very very dark, almost like bronze peafowl. Then I see photos of midnights elsewhere and they don't seem that dark.
    Link to the dark midnights:
    http://connerhills.com/midnight_peafowl_of_connerhills.html

Link to TexasPeafowl's midnight photo:
    http://www.texaspeafowl.com/images/mid.jpg

Is it the lighting or are some midnights darker than others?

2. BYC-user-174785

BYC-user-174785 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    I am not totally sure, because I believe the only Midnight I have is a White Midnight peachick. I will post pictures in a little bit, one of which will show a midnight blackshoulder.

3. BYC-user-174785

BYC-user-174785 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    [​IMG]
    I am unable to upload all of the photos now, but here is the one of the Midnight Blackshoulder Peacock. He is young.

ETA: Thisi s actually one of Rich Stein's peafowl. I will be posting many more pictures of his birds tomorrow since the photo uploader was not cooperating earlier.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    I am inclined to think its lighting/camera/monitor, they look like 2 different colors and the only midnights I've seen look like Blue Creek's.

5. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Thanks that is what all other photos I am finding look like, but I did see a few midnights that didn't look dark enough to be midnight. It must be the camera and the lighting, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by