Miffy the Budgie

SunflowerTheBun

Chirping
Jul 8, 2016
Victoria, Australia.
Hi Everyone,

Miffy is a male budgie who is getting old. Like really old for a budgie. He must be nearing 8 years now, surely, and google says they only live 5-8 years in captivity. I know that he will probably die of old age soon, and I want to make the rest of his time as nice as possible.

Miffy has lived in a relitavely small cage indoors all his life. I wanted to have a pet for myself when I was young so I got to pick a budgie from my dad's avairy. I picked the smallest one because I wanted a girl, but he turned out a boy. I called him Miffy.

Miffy had had two cage-mates in his life. The first, I wanted a friend for Miffy, so I chose a young male I called Mally, who eventually we had to put back in the avairy because they didn't get along too well. He's no longer with us.
The second, another young male rescued from the avairy moments after he left the nest box due to a backwards foot. He died last night of unknown causes, but to be honest he'd probably run his course too.

So Miffy is left alone now. I don't think we'll get him a third cage mate, he can have his cage to himself again now. I'm thinking of rearranging his toys and perches and maybe getting him some new ones, trying him out on other foods he's not had before and generally giving him a good time. He eats normal budge seed but gets treats like bread and lettuce scraps (as do my silkie bantams). His favourite food is those hanging seed stick things. I don't handle him and he doesn't like it - my dad does though to cut his nails (and beak, which seems to grow at a rapid rate, what can I do about it? I've got cuttlefish and gum-tree bark in the cage, what else does he need?) and he often gets bitten. Miffy likes to nibble my finger through he cage, it doesn't hurt though.

Miffy has not had any health problems except he used to peck at and pull out his own feathers under his wings. We fixed that by getting him cage-mates so they could clean each other. He therefore is still a bit less fluffy. I'm worried he'll phase back into doing that now he has no cage mates.

Miffy is a very cunning boy. He's learnt to speak 'pretty' (he couldn't be bothered with the 'boy' though :lol:) and do tricks in the past. He likes to sleep and chatter to himself (awake and asleep!) Here's a picture of him I took today:
image.jpg

Thanks for reading this long post. What can I do to make the rest of Miffy's life as good as possible?

- Sunny

Last edited:
I am sorry about your other two birds. I am not keen on any other birds besides chickens and I know an it about ducks, so I can't really give you advice, but hopefully you can make Miffy's life wonderful!

I am sorry about your other two birds. I am not keen on any other birds besides chickens and I know an it about ducks, so I can't really give you advice, but hopefully you can make Miffy's life wonderful!
Thank you!!! It's okay, I have silkie bantams too :)

Everyone: I just edited the original post to include more information about Miffy's behavour and food.

Millet, millet, and more millet. Fruits and veggies are good too, just make sure it's OK to feed them the ones you have. They also dig boiled eggs. Good luck making Miffy happy. :)

Thank you! I'll look into getting some millet. Yes, he likes fruits and veggies so I'll make sure he has some more. Boiled eggs sound good but only when I can get them. Could too many boiled eggs be a bit rich? I'm looking to spoil him in the healthiest ways possible

You could put a mirror in his cage, my Budgies LOVED looking at themselves & it makes for company that talks back, ha ha. Because of his age I wouldn't switch feed & moderation on the treats. Millet was my birds favorite. You can try hiding/stuffing treats in some of his toys, keep him entertained trying to get at it. He's one lucky bird having your all to himself.

Thank you! I'll look into getting some millet. Yes, he likes fruits and veggies so I'll make sure he has some more. Boiled eggs sound good but only when I can get them. Could too many boiled eggs be a bit rich? I'm looking to spoil him in the healthiest ways possible

Hm.. I haven't thought about that.. It probably shouldn't be.. Just don't feed it to him on a daily basis. Same with millet. Certain millet can be a little unhealthy.

You could put a mirror in his cage, my Budgies LOVED looking at themselves & it makes for company that talks back, ha ha. Because of his age I wouldn't switch feed & moderation on the treats. Millet was my birds favorite. You can try hiding/stuffing treats in some of his toys, keep him entertained trying to get at it. He's one lucky bird having your all to himself.
Haha, Miffy has pleeenty of mirrors, and loves them! His favourite is magenta coloured! :p Thanks for the food advice too :)

Hi again! Bit of an update on Miffy - he has a friend again! This is his third cage-mate, her name (yes, HER for once!) is Violet. She was being naughty in the avairy so dad brought her in. I think they're happy and bonding well...though Violet likes to push the biggest things in the cage around! (So far she has tried to move the ladder and one whole perch with her beak! Funny girl.) She's not been naughty inside apart from that and doesn't hurt Miffy, so I'm not sure if dad'll put her put outside or leave her in with Miffy. Either way, she's happy inside. :)

Back
Top Bottom