Might be a stupid question....?

DuckLover179

Waddles & Puddles
9 Years
Nov 28, 2010
California
Okay so I know nest boxes are for chickens, and I don't think they're for ducks, but my mom says we have to get a lift up lid with hinges on the doghouse, because she doesn't know if they will lay in there. If I set up a nest-like area for them OUTSIDE of the dog house will they lay there??? How many of your ducks lay in the doghouse???

(P.s. not sure if it will help, but their enclosure is 10'x6'x'6)

My ducks free range and they will make a nest anywhere that they can hide. Like behind bushes, in the vines, and under our boats. Yours might lay in there if that is the only hiden spot that they can make a nest in.

For most domestic ducks they like a 2ftx2ft covered box box open in the front with hay or wood chips. Make one of these and they will use it almost every time
smile.png

I usually find eggs in the coop and often in the nest boxes. Sometimes in the floor of the coop and sometimes under a plywood dog house in there. Even after i let mine out into the pen I often spot a girl that has gone back in to lay an egg in the coop.
I think yours will lay in there given a bit of time.

My ducks prefer to create their own nests in the corner of their house - it's so amazing to watch!

I use straw for beding and its so interesting to see them working out what the do!

Nest boxes can be used for ducks but not all respond to them. They are probably a good idea if you are looking for them to brood though.

My ducks are fenced in on the side of the house, where they have two different actual covered areas with lots of clean, dry hay. They (the 2 hens) have made and used a nest in both areas. ~They BOTH Are Laying/Using the Same Nest. ~Also, when I collect their eggs I Always Leave at lease 1 egg it helps them to remember where to lay. <<<My ducks would/will Occasionally lay AN egg just any where on the ground, which I would put in the nest for them.

Back
Top Bottom