Might get a pair of Barred Rock hens! :D

77horses

◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Maine
My dad knows this guy who has a whole flock of 18 barred rock chickens (1 rooster and 17 hens). He wants to give away all of them for free!
wee.gif
And so since we have room, and we've never had barred rocks before, we are planning on getting a pair of hens.
fl.gif

I've read a lot about introducing new birds to a flock (like Buff Hooligan's page). If we do get a pair of hens, even though the guy says they are healthy and young, we will put them in our dog kennel (which has an extra, small coop in it that we sometimes use). All of them are around 1 year old and are said to be healthy and in good condition, but just in case one has a disease or mites/lice, we don't want to spread anything bad to spread to our original flock.

So, I want to know what you guys think about barred rocks. Are they good egg layers? Do they tend to go broody a lot? What's their usual behavior? etc etc etc... I know that behavior and characteristics vary from chicken to chicken, but I'm curious to see what everyone says about them. I know that they are very beautiful, in my opinion, and they are hardy in pretty much all seasons.
Feel free to share your experiences, pictures, advice, opinions, etc. about barred rocks.
frow.gif

Thanks!

I have one BR in my small flock, and I love her! She is brave, sweet, curious, and the top hen in the flock. She just started laying about 6wks ago, and layed an egg a day for 3-4 days, then took a day off. Now that it is getting colder and days are shorter, she lays for two days then takes a day off, or lays every other day. Just depends. But I have a friend who has one that is 7 years old and is still laying every other day. Pretty impressive!
celebrate.gif
I would go for it. Just take the intergration very slowly. I tried to rush it and it took a long time for the new girls(my Ameraucana, and Marans) to be accepted by my other three. Of course my BR was the worst one of them all. I had to put her in chicken time out for a few days, TWICE! But all is well now. They are very sturdy and hardy hens, I would get more.
thumbsup.gif

Edit to say: I don't know about broodiness yet, but if you look on the breed index on BYC it tells you. I can't remember exactly, but I think it was average.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks! I've heard of some good things said about them, and this proves it. Still trying to convince my dad to get a couple; I'll use this info to help.
smile.png

Found this picture online:
barred-rock-hen.JPG

I just love their feather color and pattern; so pretty!
smile.png
if we do get a couple, we will breed them to our splash Cochin rooster. The result would be interesting!
wee.gif

I also have three Barred Rocks in my flock, although they are bantams. One is a rooster and the other two are hens. They are my most consistent layers in the flock. They are also the calmest.
love.gif

My little barred rock is just a baby...seven weeks. But both my DH and my son know she's been my pick since I got her when she was three days old. I was nodding while reading others' discriptors, because she's curious, friendly, clever, quite the moocher (lol), assertive...she's just got a super personality!
smile.png

I have BR, RIR, BO and I love my Barred Rocks. They lay large, brown eggs for 10 days and then they take a break. They are my most friendly birds--I would have a whole flock of them, if I had they coop space... Post your pictures...Dixie

Last edited:
My dad left the guy a note, letting him know that he wanted 2 of the hens if he could get them.
yippiechickie.gif
ya.gif
So excited! I'm going to tell him what you guys have told me about barred rocks.
thumbsup.gif
I think we will get them this weekend (if we do decide that we are going to get them).
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom