Might have to cull an aggressive hen...

I'm sorry you're having troubles. I hope the clean and re-arrange works. Put them all in at night so they don't have time to mess with each other before they go to sleep.

Wow small world. I am also having aggression issues with a hen named Jenny. I feel your pain. I'm going to put mine in jail and see if that will cool her jets.

I waited for my children to get up so they could help me swapping out the injured one for the aggressive one. Shouldn't have done that. Shes basically scalped now. Dang it.

Shes gonna have to be in isolation a little longer now to heal. Might have to take my lunch break out there to make sure they haven't decided on a new Punching bag now that she's out.

I had a dead hen yesterday and another with a hole in her neck.. watched to see if it was the rooster.. caught him attacking the second hen.. immediately pulled his head off and dropped him in the bucket.. other 5 hens are unharmed so I sat and watched 2nd cage and no harm done to any hens and rooster is breeding as normal.. had a cage with 5 back up roosters for just such an emergency, I won’t need 5 extra rooster so I culled 3, smaller roosters with scalping and bald spots so the mean rooster, 3 weaker roosters and the one hen with hole in her neck are all in an ice water bath in the fridge and I’ll talk ugly to that mean rooster here at lunchtime.. guarantee he won’t do that again..

I agree with the others that it's probably time for dinner particularly if you plan to hatch any of your eggs. I wouldn't want to hatch any of hers and risk a second generation of aggression.
I've had to cull a female for the same reason. In her case, she was in a cage with 3 other hens and a rooster. There had been no prior signs of violence, but one morning, I found a hen scalped bloody and dead in the cage. A few days later, I found a second hen scalped and got her out, but she didn't survive. I assumed it was the male doing the scalping, so put him in isolation. A few days later, I found a third hen scalped and dead which could have only been done by the remaining hen. Since I wasn't going to breed her and I didn't want to keep her in a cage alone, she went to freezer camp.
Just a note; temperment is not genetic (very googleable) and is learned socially. We cull aggressive specimen for the safety of the flock and so they do not teach others that it works. its not the genetic line.

honestly the bird is probably just uncomfortable and acting out due to the heat. I get cranky when its hot too.

Just a note; temperment is not genetic (very googleable) and is learned socially. We cull aggressive specimen for the safety of the flock and so they do not teach others that it works. its not the genetic line.

honestly the bird is probably just uncomfortable and acting out due to the heat. I get cranky when its hot too.
Temperament is both learned and genetic. It's complicated, but if you have tried all of the behavioral correction and nothing works, then odds are good that there are genetic inclinations towards aggressiveness.

There are a lot of things that are combinations of environment and genetics. In humans, Graves' disease comes to mind. You have to have the genetic inclination to get it, but just because you have that doesn't mean that you *will* get it.

Back
Top Bottom