Mildly Rotten Egg?

DixxieChick

Chirping
Jun 20, 2019
Southern Indiana
I have about 40 chickens, last spring's babies and a motley crue of all different breeds, and about the last two months I have been getting an egg that smells rotten when cracked open. It doesn't smell atrocious like a rotten duck egg that didn't hatch in the summer heat, but gross enough that I throw the rotty one out. Now I check every egg instead of cracking straight in the bowl. I missed it once or twice and a rotty one got in the bowl of 1.5-2 dozen I was using for a casserole. I made them anyway and no one got sick.

It looks totally normal on the outside (brown with a few white specks) and the inside when cracked open is normal too. The only pics of rotten eggs I've found on BYC are nasty - black or green inside, and Look rotten. I've had chickens four years and never come across this.

I give away eggs to family/friends/ups guy, etc, and am hesitant to anymore. I also finally have enough eggs to sell them by our mailbox (i have 8 dozen at the moment), but I'm scared of ruining my reputation forever if someone gets a rotten smelling egg. I have a strong stomach and have eaten all sorts of crazy things - but this rotten egg grosses me out. I can't imagine what my neighbors would do if they got one.

I can't figure out what's going on. Has anyone heard of this? Any advice/ thoughts/ musings would be appreciated. Thank you!!

First you need to identify the bird that's laying the weird ones, maybe section them into groups if 10 and put different color food coloring in their vents with a q tip, not red, though. And work your way through until you find the culprit.
How does the food coloring actually get on the eggs if it's dry?

Back
Top Bottom