Milk Cow Question - Milking only front quarters?

If the milk is still yellowish definately treat her again. She was kicking because of tenderness from the mastitis if she is getting better as it clears. Are you treating her IM with penicillan too? If that one quarter is still yellow it is something to consider.

If you really want to learn more on cows I would really suggest www.backyardcows.com. wynedot55, Aneesa's Muse, and I are all there so you would have some friendly faces ,err names, already there.

Thanks for that link.. I will sign up over there too...
One more question on this thread though... How will I know when she is 100% clear of the mast. and the milk is ok to keep? Is color the best way to judge or should I buy that CMT test?

Thanks

CMT tests are good. Also mastitis usually presents itself as chunks in the milk before you get the coloring/or lack of coloring. Or if you have a testing lab around you, you can take a sample there and they will test the somatic cell (mastitis check) and the antibiotic for you as well. If your unsure of if there is a lab near you but, know of a local dairy plant, call them and they should be able to tell you.

Remember that if you treat her more than they recommend that you will have to hold her milk longer than they say.

Last edited:
when her milk is pure white she has cleared up.no yellow clumps or chunks in it.as said a CMT test is a good way to check for mastitis.an to see if you have her cleared up.

Back
Top Bottom