Milk cow questions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by abigalerose, Mar 20, 2017.

1. abigalerose

abigalerose Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    I have a Jersey cross heifer who'll I'll be breeding next spring, but I'm curios about some things.
    I live alone and really don't use hardly any milk, and just an average amount of butter. I plan on freezing some milk and butter, and giving some to family, but if I milk her twice a day every day I know I'm going to have too much.
    I was wondering if it would work to keep her calf with her during the day, take it away at night, milk her first thing in the morning, put the calf back in repeat, that way I only have to milk once a day?
    Also, if I'm going to be out of town, or I'm just overrun with milk, could I leave her calf on her 24/7 and skip milking?
    Are these things okay to do and has anyone on here ever done something like this?

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    You can leave the calf on her. A lot depends on how much milk she gives and how much the calf drinks. If the calf takes all or most of it, you can separate the calf, say at night, milk her in the morning, and put the calf back on her. When I was in Mexico, I saw people separate the calf, partially milk the cow out and then put the calf back with the cow. If the cow is taking all the milk, you obviously won't have to milk her. You will need to have someone feed her while you are gone. When the calf needs to be weaned, or weans himself, you can get another calf and put on her. if she adopts it fine, if not, you can tie her and allow the calf to nurse. That way you won't have to milk.

3. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Hi,
    We choose to let our baby boy nurse on his dexter mom 24/7. We wanted to make sure he got all the nutrients he needed to grow big and strong. We have noticed now at 9 months he has started to only nurse once a day and we have separated them at night.No fuss and no stress...

I think you should for the first 6 months at least let the calf drink the nutrient rich milk he is needing . You won't have to milk her and your calf will be healthy and strong

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by