Milk crate nest boxes? Has anyone used them successfully?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by WriterofWords, Mar 30, 2008.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    The company that supplies the school with milk and bread gave me a bunch of the square plastic milk crates, I think they are about 12 x 12 and then they gave me some other plastic crates that are approximately 24 x 36. The bread flats are blue plastic and about 24 x 36 also and have an open weave for the bottom and a small lip around the edge. Can anyone suggest ways to use these for nest boxes or something? I hate to be given stuff and not use it!
    Kate

2. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    I think all you would need would be a board like a two by four in front so the eggs couldn't roll out. You could use straw or pine shavings in the nests. You could anchor them to the wall of your coop or to a 2x4 on the floor like Denali did his buckets.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=42379

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Milk crates would be excellent nest boxes! Put some straw in there and let them form it into a nest!
    [​IMG]

4. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

I built 2 nesting boxes when i started, I had some millk crates out on the back deck and they (the chickens) decided they rather use them instead....I moved them into the coop with some straw and they seem to love it.

5. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Thank you! I was hoping to hear that they would work for us because we can get all we need free! It will save a ton of money trying to get wood for them.
    kate

6. mosier

mosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Madison, Wisconsin
  7. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Thank you very much, looks like just add straw and hen kit!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by