Milky white poop and she's lethargic

My gut feeling is that your hen will need antibiotics and tube feeding. I pray that a simple five days of worming will fix her, but it's usually not what happens. Today is Friday, so too late to overnight any drugs and vets will close early tomorrow, so keep that in mind.

Do you know any pigeon breeders? I ask because they often have the good drugs like Baytril, Cipro and metronidazole.

-Kathy

I called all the nearby vets none of them treat birds and no one will send out a fecal because they wouldn't be able to treat whatever comes back so I'm screwed on the vets but I did deworm her and will continue to I just don't want to lose her they are all like children

I've had her since right before Christmas and have not wormed her she has never laid an egg before and she never was doing the egg stance she was just laying in the box and around the yard
As Casportpony noted not all will do the egg stance , just wondered if you knew what it was and if you saw it, worming should be done ever 3 months IMO some folks don't worm during breding season that is their choice but if you think about it it has been 5 months sense she has been wormed and i am willing to bet this may be part of her problem, once they get a heavy load other problems can stat to come into play as worms rob them of much need nutrition especially when they are fixing to start laying.

I would take a stool sample to a vet like Casportpony suggested, even if a vet does not see birds they can run fecal test or should IMO and that would rule out or confirm certin worms and other things that cause animals problems in general such as cocci and e-coli

You should look for a farm vet, not a cat and dog vet. If whoever you call gives you the run a round, don't even tell them it is a bird. If they do fecals on dogs or cats the fecal is the same for worms, just take the a sample and ask for them to check for worms and cocci. Still I would look for a farm vet not a city pet vet.

I called all the nearby vets none of them treat birds and no one will send out a fecal because they wouldn't be able to treat whatever comes back so I'm screwed on the vets but I did deworm her and will continue to I just don't want to lose her they are all like children
That makes no sense at all they can teat Worms and make a referral at the very least find another vet and keep calling till you find one to run these test. i agree with Casportpont antibotics at this point is a good idea .

William Benner DVM

South Hadley
Massachusetts
United States

Elizabeth S. Bradt

Salem
Massachusetts
United States

Dawn Brooks

Chelmsford
Massachusetts
United States

Erika L. Cervasio

Mansfield
Massachusetts
United States

Jessica Clay

Andover
Massachusetts
United States

Stephen B. Constant DVM

Chicopee
Massachusetts
United States

Wendy E. Emerson

Topsfield
Massachusetts
United States

Jay Gould DVM

Mattapoisett
Massachusetts
United States

Jennifer Graham

North Grafton
Massachusetts
United States

Lori Harvey

Kingston
Massachusetts
United States

Sherry Himmelstein

Springfield
Massachusetts
United States

Karen Holmes

Walpole
Massachusetts
United States

Alexandra Kilgore DVM

Littleton
Massachusetts
United States

Debra Lynn

Wayland
Massachusetts
United States

Sarah M. McCormack

Belmont
Massachusetts
United States

Marjorie Mcmillan

Walpole
Massachusetts
United States

Brian Moore

Westboro
Massachusetts
United States

Brendan P. Noonan

Boston
Massachusetts
United States

Nancy O'Leary

Worcester
Massachusetts
United States

Connie Orcutt DVM Dipl ABVP-

Brookline
Massachusetts
United States

Victoria Papscoe

Littleton
Massachusetts
United States

Christine Pelletier

Wakefield
Massachusetts
United States

John Rosseel Jr. DVM

Amherst
Massachusetts
United States

Elisabeth Simone-Freilicher

Boston
Massachusetts
United States

Florina Tseng

North Grafton
Massachusetts
United States

That makes no sense at all they can teat Worms and make a referral at the very least find another vet and keep calling till you find one to run these test. i agree with Casportpont antibotics at this point is a good idea .

My previous vets gave me the same run around and they refused to even look at a fecal from my birds. I had to switch to a vets office that sends the fecals out of house to get any help for my Peas. Exact same story, they won't look because they can't treat for what they might find.
he.gif

My previous vets gave me the same run around and they refused to even look at a fecal from my birds. I had to switch to a vets office that sends the fecal out of house to get any help for my Peas. Exact same story, they won't look because they can't treat for what they might find.
Great you found one that at least sent it out for you,
clap.gif
did thy call you with the results or did you have to wait for the results to come back via snail mail? we all know that time is critical when finding out what ails our birds , this would be a good thing to do annually just to check the health of the birds in general, may i asked what they charged you? you can PM me if you don't want to post it here i was just curious

Back
Top Bottom