Milky, yogurt type of dropping

But her abdomen is not hard to indicare EYP...
It's squishy, feels like water filled. I've lost a hen last year due to ascites and her sypmtoms match that of the current sick hen. She is not per say wheezing, rather she makes these gargle-y sounds after some exertion.
And I placed the needle in the lower right side of her abdomen.

EYP is not the same as internal laying. With internal laying, there's something wrong, usually infection, in the oviduct that causes eggs to back up in the oviduct and spill over into the abdominal cavity. Sometimes a reproductive infection can cause the same sort of water retention that ascites causes. When fluid is withdrawn, it comes out brown. Ascites fluid is clear or pale yellow.

EYP is not the same as internal laying. With internal laying, there's something wrong, usually infection, in the oviduct that causes eggs to back up in the oviduct and spill over into the abdominal cavity. Sometimes a reproductive infection can cause the same sort of water retention that ascites causes. When fluid is withdrawn, it comes out brown. Ascites fluid is clear or pale yellow.
So all I can do is give her antibiotics. When should I try to extract water? She looked better today. It was hard to catch her for giving her the medicine.

Attachments

• 20220131_150425.jpg
    20220131_150425.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 2
The fluid buildup doesn't need immediate draining unless she's obviously in discomfort. It doesn't cause her condition to heal, only makes her more comfortable by getting rid of some fluid.

If you're giving the antibiotic once a day, try grabbing her in the evening just as she's roosting. She'll be easy to catch and pill.

The fluid buildup doesn't need immediate draining unless she's obviously in discomfort. It doesn't cause her condition to heal, only makes her more comfortable by getting rid of some fluid.

If you're giving the antibiotic once a day, try grabbing her in the evening just as she's roosting. She'll be easy to catch and pill.
She is eating and drinking on her own so I suppose it is not that bad. We finished her dosage today.

This is what she sounds like after some exertion

Do you have access to probiotics such a acidophillus? She sounds like she may have a slow crop from the antibiotic effect on her microbiota being targeted along with bacteria. The probiotic given for the next few days could help restore that balance and improve her crop function.

Do you have access to probiotics such a acidophillus? She sounds like she may have a slow crop from the antibiotic effect on her microbiota being targeted along with bacteria. The probiotic given for the next few days could help restore that balance and improve her crop function.
We do have probiotics sachets here. I checked the internet and Acidophilus is too expensive here.
Her breathing has been like this for a long time actually. She contracted respiratory disease when she was a pullet, so my flock always has a lot of ups and downs due their poor immune system.

Back
Top Bottom