Mille fleur d'uccle Hatching help??

508pips

Hatching
Mar 10, 2024
I just bought a dozen mdf's hatching eggs but Im just wondering if there are different rules from hatching normal sized eggs? I've hatched silkies and they worked out fine but I'm I really need this hatch to go out fine so asking for some advice

I just bought a dozen mdf's hatching eggs but Im just wondering if there are different rules from hatching normal sized eggs? I've hatched silkies and they worked out fine but I'm I really need this hatch to go out fine so asking for some advice
Hello! The first batch I ever hatched were mille fleur Belgian D'uccles! I've actually never hatched normal size eggs, but from what I've read everything is the same. I have a Brinsea Maxi advance and I left it at the factory set heat, filled the water tray on one side and that was it.

I find for the turning trays the best angle is 8 or 9 seconds. If you are hand turning that isn't a worry.

They feel pretty fragile but as long as you're extra gentle handling them they will grow!

Do you have any specific worries with this batch?

Hello! The first batch I ever hatched were mille fleur Belgian D'uccles! I've actually never hatched normal size eggs, but from what I've read everything is the same. I have a Brinsea Maxi advance and I left it at the factory set heat, filled the water tray on one side and that was it.

I find for the turning trays the best angle is 8 or 9 seconds. If you are hand turning that isn't a worry.

They feel pretty fragile but as long as you're extra gentle handling them they will grow!

Do you have any specific worries with this batch?
Hey there! Thanks for responding, I'm using a ezsimply incubator which seems to really well with small eggs, and auto rotates. So far out of 12, 9 have reached the lock down age and I doing great! A question that I do have is that, have you had a problem with smaller eggs, or ones that are more oval-shaped than normal eggs? And Do they hatch a bit earlier than 21 days? as I've experienced that with silkies too

Hey there! Thanks for responding, I'm using a ezsimply incubator which seems to really well with small eggs, and auto rotates. So far out of 12, 9 have reached the lock down age and I doing great! A question that I do have is that, have you had a problem with smaller eggs, or ones that are more oval-shaped than normal eggs? And Do they hatch a bit earlier than 21 days? as I've experienced that with silkies too.
That's good to hear! I don't have too much experience with them. But I have hatched some pretty tiny eggs of theirs and the chicks start a bit smaller then the rest, but they seem to catch up fine :) the last time I hatched D'uccles they may have pipped a day earlier than regular sized breeds too. I haven't had a problem with any very oblong eggs, but as long as the air cell end is angled up it should be alright.

That's good to hear! I don't have too much experience with them. But I have hatched some pretty tiny eggs of theirs and the chicks start a bit smaller then the rest, but they seem to catch up fine :) the last time I hatched D'uccles they may have pipped a day earlier than regular sized breeds too. I haven't had a problem with any very oblong eggs, but as long as the air cell end is angled up it should be alright.
Okay then! They are in lockdown right now, with the last candling the aircells dont seen to be the right size...

Attachments

• 20240325_213131.jpg
    20240325_213131.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 1
Hmmm, the air cells might be a little small. But all you can do is see if they hatch :) I'm not too good at monitoring air cells, but I still get pretty successful hatches. Let me know how it goes :)

Hmmm, the air cells might be a little small. But all you can do is see if they hatch :) I'm not too good at monitoring air cells, but I still get pretty successful hatches. Let me know how it goes :)
Okayy :thumbsup
I'll let you know soon!

Okay Day 23 Update

We had 2 hatch on Day 21 out of the 7 that made it to lockdown, 2 more hatched but both have leg issues. Out of the 3 left 2 died within the eggs without piping into the air cell on day 23, opened them up, both were upside down, legs in the wider side, last one is still moving in the egg, has not piped the air cell, do you guys think the parents of these eggs were too old? The incubator had no issues as the first 2 hatched all by them selves within 6 hours and are doing great. I feel like the hens might have been too old, bought the eggs from kijiji

Back
Top Bottom