Mille Fleur D'Uccle or Silkie?

ChickenFanatic447

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 30, 2011
Oregon
Can you name the pros and cons of each breed? I've always loved D'Uccles and it's one of my members of the future dream flock, but I'm not sure if I want a Silkie more or not. Does anyone have any experience with either of these breeds? If so I'd be thankful if you'd add some input.

I'm looking for a generally docile chicken that will fit in with my flock and not be to much of an eye sore either. Favorelles are another member of my future dream flock (I love beards and muffs on my chickens) and they're an option too so if you can chime in on them as well that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

I've heard great things about the temperaments of both. I've never owned either, but the Silkies will need more attention than the D'Uccles. Their fuzz impairs their vision, and from what I gather, they are more fragile and sensitive than other breeds. If it was me, I'd go with D'Uccle, but I don't know what kind of weather/etc you're looking at.

Faverolles are AMAZING birds. However, you'll have to add only docile birds to your flock - they will be very harshly picked on otherwise, because of their docile temperament. I love my Faverolle girl. Very sweet.

Neighbor has a D'Uuclle (?) And she's a pretty little thing. I wanna steal her and they'd let me. I have Silkies, Faverolles, Dottes, Mutts, and 1 lovely leghorn... If I had to pick between the silk and mille, I'd go silkies, only cuz they look so nice with my faverolles. All fluffy and cuddley. I am wierd I know. But hey, what can I say... I think I am a chicken addict now! A Chickaholic.

I have both

I like Silkies better, they are friendlier and more cuddly. Cant think of any cons, other than if you dont want a broody then these girls arent for you since they usually go broody. And its also harder to sex

My Mille Fleur is pretty but more timid. Very pretty though. Less cuddly but will still cuddle.

I recommend Silkies.

I've got some Mille Fleur D'Uccles, and I LOVE them! So super friendly, and so very pretty! They have the prettiest muffs and beards, and great personalities. They crack me up when they run to me, its like they are little road runners haha

We have one silkie and three d'uccles and we love them all....

Our d'uccles are very friendly. They will sit in our laps, even the rooster, and they don't mind being handled or picked up... one of our girls seems to answer to her name. We love to watch them walk and run around the yard. They are so pretty!

Our silkie is sweet and she doesn't mind being handled or picked up but she would rather be in the coop or walking around the yard with the other birds. She has been pretty low maintenance so far but she's still young. We gave her two baths this summer... once to learn how to bathe her and the other to prep her for a 4-H fair. She liked it. But we haven't done anything to her since.

I think either would be a great addition!

Thanks everyone, can anyone add some input on Seramas and Red Shouldered Yokohamas? My local breeder is having a big sale so I'm trying to decide on what to grab, it's really hard picking out chicks.

Back
Top Bottom