Mille Fleur D'Uccle

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by new2chickens2011, Oct 16, 2011.

1. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Hi all,

So at the feed store they had some Mille Fleur chicks. I really want some, just for pets. Can you tell me about them?? They are so cute. ANd also, if I just get two, can they be happy in a large rabbit hutch?

Thank You!! [​IMG]

2. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I usually get about 2 to 4 chicks of some breeds that I like.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

D'Uccles are very timid, sweet chickens. They are at the bottom of the pecking order around here.

They can be easily tamed, and are attractive to hawks. So I give them plenty of cover to hide under. Mine are mixed in with my large fowl, which I really don't recommend if you have aggressive large fowl. They are easily kept from eating by aggressive chickens.

Mine do get food, but they really have to wait for a chance to run over and eat quickly before they are "discovered."

If you mean to coop them up at night in a rabbit hutch, that is fine if they are protected from ALL wind and cold. They aren't terribly cold hardy since they are so tiny. Not like the fluffy large fowl. I give mine a 100 watt bulb to huddle under if they need it in the winter. I have taken Chick-N-hutches and put plywood over the vertical faces of them to cover the drafts and they work ok. I have sinced moved them into my shed coop for ease of care.

I assume you mean to give them a run to be in during the day. They are fliers...they fly like helicopters over any fence they want. However, they DON'T like to go away from home. They are security-oriented and don't go outside my fencing. They are afraid to free range far away from the coop.

If I just had d'Uccles I could just open the gates of my pens and they wouldn't even go out most likely, except 20 feet away once in awhile, lol. I used to free range my fowl and the d'Uccles didn't want to free range at all.

4. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I got 2 of them as straight run chicks. One died suddenly at a few months old, and the otherr is now my rooster. Absolutely love him. He has a quiet crow, and is totally non aggressive. I can't hold or pet him, as he never liked it. The girl did, but she is not around. He does a great job with alll 18 of his ladies ( both full sized and bantams) some of the bigger girls pick on him a bit, but he is undeterred. I have 8 chiicks from him now, with EE mamas and either a dutch bantam, or OEGB mama thrown iin there. The chicks are gorgeous, with fluffy faces, feathered legs and gorgeous colors.

He is beautiful, and plan on getting another chick or two in the spring to be able to have som e pure bred Mille Fleur D'uccles. The porcelan D'Uccles are gorgeous as well. They are great lawn ornaments, but I don't advise keeping ANY chickens in. A rabbit hutch...just my preference.

And I agree with the post above me. Feisty really prefers to stay inside the run and not free range, but he likes all the space he has and love to fly about the perches.

Here's Feisty. He doesn't have quite the coloration I've seen on others. Would have liked more speckling, but he's a handsome liittle guy, nonetheless.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/59865_2011-10-10_16-33-34_428.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  5. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Our MFD'U is our sweetest little girl. Such a loner... And beautiful!!! She survived a dog attack and has a bunch of toes missing... She is our favorite and I highly recommend the breed.

6. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Thank you all for telling me about the breed!!
    And by the way when I said rabbit hutch I meant with a run or free ranging space. SOrry I wasn't clear.

Thanks again!! [​IMG]

7. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Mine do fine in a rabbit hutch when old enough to go outside, that is under a covered awning with the 3 wooden sides, and enclosed 4 sided & covered nest box. I would not put them in a wire cage hutch. I put them in the chicken tractor during the day and the rabbit hutch at night. I will probably end up putting the rabbit hutch inside my shed (which has a window) to give it more of a wind break. Some of those rabbit hutches with the enclosed run are nice looking and would work just fine, I think. You can always throw a clear tarp over it in the cold winter to add more windbreak, absorb heat, and keep snow/ice from damaging the wood or freezing the door shut.

Come join the d'uccle thread!

8. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Our d'uccle is wonderfully sweet little bird. My sons for some reason named our girl "ok". She is docile, sweet. She has a best friend -- a light brahma Pullet, they are the funniest pair. The brahma is a runt, compared to our other brahmas, but still huge compared to the d'uccle. Enjoy these birds very sweet!

9. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Go for it! I guarantee anyone that comes to your place will compliment you on how cool they look. I get it all the time. As someone has already mentioned, they are smaller, and sometimes get picked on by the large breeds, wouldn't keep them penned with large breed but like you said, the rabbit hutch should work fine. Once you get them, be sure to join the d'uccle thread and post pictures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by