millet as a feed

What grains are in the four-grain scratch?

Corn, Oats, Wheat and I believe Milo...
(If it was me I would use pop corn instead of regular field corn) Either way plant it as far as possible from sweet corn so that it don't cross pollinate and give you a off tasting sweet corn..

Chris​

We planted organic Golden Bantam last year. Are planting much more this year so that there will be some for the chickens.

Corn cross-pollinates easily. The trick to having more than one variety is by choosing them so that they are pollinating at different times. Add to this a couple of weeks between plantings.

You might think about planting purple hull or whipporwill peas. We planted a field of them as an experiment to see if our cattle would eat the hay. The seed expense was justifiable in our eyes, since if nothing else, the peas are legumes and would help replace nitrogen in the soil. We picked all the peas for ourselves we could handle, and baled the rest - plants, peas and all. We did pick the peas before the pods were dry so they had to be frozen. We had planned on planting a different field with the peas the next year and leaving a section to dry, but something happened - I don't remember what - and we never got around to doing it again. However, the cattle loved it, and so did the chickens!
droolin.gif

The sprays are probably Foxtail Millet.

There are LOTS of varieties of millet, and chickens will eat them all
If you buy millet to feed them, make sure to check the labels.
Millet sold as "seed" is often treated with fungicides, and should NOT be used as feed
Good to know; I was about to plant millet in a month or two.

Do you recommend a certain variety?

I got a small bag of Millet from Winco(bulk section) - they LOVED IT . I hope the people's grade millet is NOT treated with herbicides?

A good source for non-GMO and organic millet seed is Bountiful Gardens and Baker Creek Seed. I'm thinking of planting some millet this spring in GA. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom