Millie has 3 eggs now;) First time with a broody.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by skillswife, Jun 27, 2011.

1. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    So our only currently laying hen Millie, went broody. I just couldn't stand it that she was trying to hatch wooden eggs lol so I got some hopefully fertile eggs from my mil and put them under her on Friday. She is such a good mama already, lol! Her nesting box is up off the ground, will I be able to move it and her to the ground? Should I totally separate her from the other chickens? She has only been off the eggs briefly to eat and drink yesterday. I am just hoping that the 3 eggs we got from mil are all fertile and she can hatch them. Any advise? I went through a lot on the broody hen thread but its a tad overwhelming, lol.

2. hmlongino

hmlongino Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    My experience with a broody was not the best... 1 rotten exploding egg, 1 dead chick being kept warm and vile under there... one that hatched late and she got up and left it to feed the others, and I had to take it in and help it through its shrink wrapped covering. NOT a pretty sight!

I would love to hear advice on how to make it a more pleasant (and worthwhile) experience. I have a broody that I can't seem to break, and I'm tempted to give her some eggs, even though I had such a stinky past experience!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by