1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Milling Your Own Oat Flour

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by WillieBoy, Dec 12, 2010.

1. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Was just looking at that yummie multi grain bread recipe posted here. For those who mill their own flours for baking,do you just mill oats like you would wheat berries, to make oat flour...?

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I don't mill,but have used the coffee grinder to make oat flour when I needed it. I love oat milk!

3. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Thanks Mattemma....how do you make oat milk and how do you like to us it...? The coffee grinder for making oat flour sounds good, i've made cormeal that way, but its a bit tough on the coffee grinder..!

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes, I have made oat flour in the past. I put it in my Kitchen aid attachment (grain mill). Just use quick or rolled oats.

There is a really yummy oat flour pancake recipe on the back of Bob's Red Mill oat flour (where I got the idea to mill my own). I have made oat milk too- just put the flour and water in the blender.

Sometimes I just put dry uncooked quick oats in small quantities in smoothies and milkshakes as a thickener.

You can buy "hulless" oats that don't have a coat/husk. You plant the seeds and up comes oats that you just put in your oat roller. Labor intensive to grow your own oats, but with that variety, it works well. I have tried it. The rolled oats look just like the ones at the store.

Regular oats are just about impossible for the homesteader to de-hull is what I have read (but haven't tried it).

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by