Millipede INVASION!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 7hensandaroo, Jul 29, 2011.

1. 7hensandaroo

7hensandaroo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    My East and North side of our house is literally covered in millipedes! Over the last 5 days I have shop vaccummed over 20 gallons of these pesky things with no end in sight. I must have nests that have just hatched and the chickens don't eat them. Evenings and early mornings are the worst and they hide in the heat of the day.

Today the millipedes were all around their coup area concentrated in the high and dry spots because it was raining. The chickens avoid being anywhere around them as they can pinch and bite.

I have already dusted with food grade DE around the whole foundation of the house and have tried some organic treatments with no avail.

I hate to use chemicals as the chickens roam when we are home and we have children and other pets. What else can I do to get this under control?

I have read that these are one of the hardest pests to get rid of.

SHARE PLEASE!

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Aren't they awful? We had them last year. Seems like when it rains a lot they don't like it and head for high ground. They even get into the house. So then we pick them up and stick them in the toilet. But we never sprayed or anything, there were so many of them you would need a pump sprayer. Good luck

3. 7hensandaroo

7hensandaroo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Yep, they are in the house, so I have the dehumidifier going full blast to keep it dry. When it's dry the millipedes curl up and die.
    I have vaccummed hundreds of them in the basement already.

It looks as if I shop vac them outside they try all the harder to come inside.

When it rains literally thousands of them hang out on the back concrete wall just below the siding, just to get out of the rain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by