Milo or Sorjhum seed, Where can I get some?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MainelySeramas, Jan 12, 2010.

1. MainelySeramas

MainelySeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Has anyone heard of Milo or Sorjhum seed For Chickens? And where can I order some? I am in Maine.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

We grow it and around here you can get it at any feed mill. I feed it to my chickens everyday.

3. Green Ridge MO

Green Ridge MO Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2010
    Green Ridge, Missouri
    yes - very common grain around the midwest. Grain sorghum or milo is often added in many commercial bird seeds and we buy it by the 50# bag for my chickens. They do seem to consume it quicker then corn and it has about the same protein level I believe. Most chicken scratches I have seen have corn,milo, and wheat.

4. detali

detali Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Yes, commercial bird seed has milo and sorghum in it. I bought some for my chickens last spring and strewed it in my garden and let the chickens scratch it up and eat it. They loved it. Later when the chickens were penned away from the garden I had this strange corn like plant come up but I knew it was not corn. Once it started to tassle and set seed heads I recognized it as sorghum. I saved some of that seed. I'll try to plant it next year as a special bird treat.

5. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I buy 50lb bags of milo at the feed store, right next to the corn and oats. I didn't know it wasn't common! [​IMG]

6. SurprisingWoman

SurprisingWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
    Milo may not be bad in the east but in the west there are not as many birds that will eat it.

Carp bird seed around here has milo.

Do some research before you buy it.

7. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Are you looking for seed you can grow for your chickens, or bagged seed just to feed them?

-Cindy in MA

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I don't buy wild bird seed with milo in it because song birds don't eat it very well, but my chickens, ducks and guineas love it. So do cattle and hogs.

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Lots of grains sold as SEED have been treated with fungicides, and should NOT be used as feed.
    Read the labels carefully

10. ARjohnboy

ARjohnboy New Egg

Nov 9, 2013
    I am looking for Milo seed to grow in my food plot. The Deer love it!

John

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by