Min/Max Height for Nest Boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mylilchix, Sep 28, 2008.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

What are the minimum and maximum heights to hang nest boxes? I'm building mine today, 6 boxes for 15 hens that are 15-17 weeks old. All of my hens are large breeds: australorps, cochins, brahmas, RIRs, and EEs. I do plan on adding a few silkies in the spring, so I need my boxes to work for everyone.

Thanks, Sonja

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I would say between 18 and 25 inches would be just about right from what I have been reading. Mine are 20 inches and the hens seem to love that. They all go in them. When we had them higher the hens did not even attempt to go in them.

3. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have 8 nest boxes arranged in 2 tiers of 4. The bottom is about 18 inches off the floor and I have heavy breeds. They use every one of them but on different days. Yesterday I found 8 eggs in the same box!

4. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Unless you want to put them on the ground, don't plan on your silkies laying in them--they don't fly and would rather have a box down very low, otherwise, newchickmom has the right idea. I only have two boxes, but they're about the same height as hers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by