mine aren't friendly :(

crumptz

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 22, 2012
Mountain View, CA
My 5 chicks (3-4 weeks old) run from me. I not real concerned... until I hear other people say things like their chicks sit on their fingers and come on over when called. I figure they are chickens... but I'm kinda bummed they are afraid of me.

Mine didn't like being held much at that age till I moved them outside to their coop/run. They would eat oats from my hand when they were in their brooder but not much for being held.

A lot depends on the breed of chicken too. I have some that come when called and some that run for the hills like their tails are on fire.
Friendliest here is the Delaware that is 6 weeks old then the Speckled Sussex also 6 weeks old.
Of my grown hens the California Whites are by far the friendliest.
The most freaked out are the Hamburgs both babies and grown will just about kill themselves trying to get far enough away.

Silly chickens I am the bringer of treats.

A lot depends on the breed of chicken too. I have some that come when called and some that run for the hills like their tails are on fire.
Friendliest here is the Delaware that is 6 weeks old then the Speckled Sussex also 6 weeks old.
Of my grown hens the California Whites are by far the friendliest.
The most freaked out are the Hamburgs both babies and grown will just about kill themselves trying to get far enough away.

Silly chickens I am the bringer of treats.

my delaware and speckled are fairly skittish but my cali is really friendly and super curious!

And are you in Loveland, CO??

I have BA's and BR's 6 weeks old and Welsummers 3 weeks old. All of them come running for treats when I show up with a bowl in my hand cuz they KNOW it's something new and different. BUT, only 1 of the BR's and 1 of the BA's will even allow me to touch them. And that's only the occasional breast stroke and sometimes I sneak in a back rub. NONE of them want to be picked up. But that's fine with me. They are a hobby and a food source. I want them to be independent somewhat. If I sit in their coop they all come up to me. They don't actually seem scared of me, but they don't like movement much, especially if it is in their direction. They will walk all over my feet, if I sit there long enough the two that are the tamest will 'talk' o me. I can walk among them and not scare them off. But they don't like HANDS.

Oh well, they are young yet, we will see what happens as they mature.

My chickens are for eggs/meat, so I don't treat them like pets. That being said, my two week old chicks ran from me two days ago. I gave them some dried meal worms the last couple of days, and they run to the front of the brooder when I come down, jump into my hands, and wait for treats! LOL - give them something they want, and they will be all over you.

My Buffs are extremely friendly but the 6 week old ideal 236 chicks (2 pullets) that I have are still freaking out when I do something as simple as put feed in their brooder :( . I am hoping eventually they will mellow down some but have heard that they will not come anywhere near as friendly as my Buffs.

I have seven buff chicks and three rir's. All super friendly, sometimes they are all over my hand sometimes they run. It all depends, as long as im making slow movements and bringing food they're good.
wink.png

My buff is ridiculously scared of me. I can almost see her getting a heart attack when I have to grab her to clean her coop. I got a buff because I wanted friendly chickens. My other too might not like to get carried but they won't squirm once I have them in my arms.

Treats definitely helped in my case, too, though I also take time to handle all four of my chicks daily. Only one of them is still really resistant to being picked up or touched; the other three let me reach in, scritch their chests, then carefully scoop them up. Overall, I'm really careful not to be "grabby" with them, or make them feel like they're in danger.

But yeah, if you can get them accustomed to handling and associate you with food, that seems to go a long way. (Don't forget: give them grit if they're going to have treats!)

Back
Top Bottom