mini frostbite

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by clucksbc, Nov 13, 2011.

1. clucksbc

clucksbc Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2011
    I feel very bad...and shocked...but I think a couple of my girls have a slight case of frostbite...
    they usually don't go out in the rain..but one day we caught them in it ...and it is a few days later. and one of them have about 1/4 inch black on her tips...
    and 3 others have very slight bits...
    ok I have been on here reading...
    and have them all now coated with vasiline...
    but should I just do this on all of them all winter as a preventative..measure...
    my hubby can get some tripple antibiolic...cream...is there any harm in giving this to the worstish case...
    ....don't want to..do anything wrong...but wouldn't want infection...
    and if the black tips fall off will they grow back...???

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Yep when they get wet frost bite is more likely. Was it freezing rain?

My silly rooster stuck his wattles in his drinking water and they froze. His frost bite did heal up well. That triple antibiotic is great to have on hand for the chickens but the frost bite probably wont get infected. You can put the vasiline on all winter long as a preventative. The black tips may not grow back.

3. clucksbc

clucksbc Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2011
    It does very much surprise us...because we definately wouldn't have thought it to be cold enough here for frost bite..
    but it is unfortunate to know after the fact how much wet moisture can be a culprit...
    glad to know your fellow healed up fine

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Just rain itself won't cause frostbite. You need the humidity plus freezing temperatures. I'm not sure what you do if your birds stand around in the rain and then you have sub freezing temps at night, but another thing to keep in mind is that you need adequate ventilation in the coop so that the humidity has a chance to escape. Don't know if this comment helps at all...
    Good luck with them [​IMG]

5. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    My rooster had a severe case of frostbite. His comb and wattles swelled up and got real heavy. We put vaseline in him. A month later, the weirdest thing happened. The black tip of part of the comp fell off and revealed healthy skin underneath! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by