Mini rex color help...

Shanna-stephens

Chirping
Apr 8, 2018
Northwest Arkansas
Can anyone tell me what color this is? Mama is white, daddy is black. Do I just have a pretty mix that isnt recognized or did I happen to get something pretty AND recognized from these two?? Mainly wondering if I have a blue or lilac?? New to rabbits. :DThanks in advance.

Can anyone tell me what color this is? Mama is white, daddy is black. Do I just have a pretty mix that isnt recognized or did I happen to get something pretty AND recognized from these two?? Mainly wondering if I have a blue or lilac?? New to rabbits. :DThanks in advance.
20190206_144459.jpg

That looks like a blue, with some staining/fading. Of course, when you get cameras and screens involved, things can get a bit wonky, so you may be seeing things that I don't. Blue is the dilute of black, and is a rich medium gray color. Lilac is the dilute of chocolate, and is a pinkish dove-gray.

Last edited:
That looks like a blue, with some staining/fading. Of course, when you get cameras and screens involved, things can get a bit wonky, so you may be seeing things that I don't. Blue is the dilute of black, and is a rich medium gray color. Lilac is the dilute of chocolate, and is a pinkish dove-gray.
Great!! Thanks for the reply! That is what I was hoping for... if I keep this one and breed her back hoping to improve the blue, what color buck should I put her with?

What kind of improvement are you looking for? The uneven color that she now exhibits will disappear the next time she molts. Blues tend to fade rather quickly, so if your ambition is to show, you will want to keep rabbits of this color out of areas with strong sunlight.

Black is usually considered a safe color for breeding to blue. One thing you want to watch is claw color; blues seem to have more trouble with light colored claws than just about any other color.

Back
Top Bottom