Mini Schnauzers and chickens?

keaniebeanie

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Vermont
So, I have 4 2 year old hens and 6 day old chicks coming next week. I am getting a mini schnauzer pup end of June-beginning of July. I have not had a dog since having the chickens and wonder how the Schnauzer will do with them. I am hoping that if they are raised together I won't have problems. My next door neighbors have chickens also and free range them and I really am not wanting to replace chickens!! Anyone with any experience with Schnauzers and chickens? I know that Schnauzers were bred to be "ratters" and I am concerned about poultry.
Keanie

I have had two mini schnauzers and I believe if you expose the pup to the chickens right away it will learn to get along great with them. Mine were the best dogs ever, I miss having them.

My mom has 3 and dad has 2, other then occationally scattering the chickens, they don't really bother them.

I have a five year old mini schnauzer and he is the only one I trust with the chickens!! He was raised with cats, kittens, rats, ferrets, bunnies and birds so he knows that I am in charge and that all the animals we live with are pets and part of the family. They are dominant little dogs but if you start out being the boss and have a zero tolerance policy for any prey type interest I bet you won't have a problem. I love my schnauzer, he is the best little dog! I can let the ferrets out and they run all over him and he doesn't bat an eye!

Back
Top Bottom