1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mini spring clean. with pics.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DianaMallory, Mar 9, 2015.

1. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    This is my coop 6 days ago. [​IMG]

this was my coop today.............[​IMG]

Time for a spring clean. I decided that since there was so much muck in the run and I really couldn't rake up any pine needles. I decided to use the dirty pine shaving out of the coop in the run, since I was cleaning it out anyway. I probably should not have done that but it looks healthier to walk in than the muck did. I couldn't hose everything done like I wanted to so that is why I am calling it a mini clean. Next time it will be warmer and the girls will get a good power wash to their coop.
    I can't say it enough but thank you to the person who came up with the poop board idea with using sweet PDZ. on them. I love it. Makes clean up so much easier. The only con I have found to it is the cold, when it freezes you lose a lot because it freezes together making almost impossible to scoop. But made it through the winter and hoping it is done. (winter that is) a few more pics of my mini spring clean. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I leave the new shavings all piled up together and when I go out there tomorrow I hope like in the past the girls will have them spread out for me! LOL. Hey I am old and got to cut out as much work as I can! Hope you enjoyed my pics and if you don't have poo boards in your coop I highly recommend it!

2. wyandottegirl

wyandottegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2014
    Vancouver Island, BC
    Your coop looks great!!![​IMG]

3. DianaMallory

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    Thank you! My last coop was pieced and parted together came out good but a lot of mistakes were made. Trial and error and I am really pleased with this one.

4. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    It really looks good. Congratulations on your fast snow removal. The girls will love playing with the new shavings and spreading them for you. Hope your Spring lasts for you.

5. DianaMallory

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    Oh and that isn't trash at the corner of the coop, it is bags of old litter that I used to help block the wind when we had wind chill factor here in Ohio. The girls water still froze up and some still got frost bit. But we made it through the winter. Insulating this summer! And closing the walls up.

6. DianaMallory

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    Keeping my fingers crossed!

7. DianaMallory

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    Thanks for all the comments!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by