miniature ducks temperment?

Alye kat

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 16, 2012
arlington, washiington
totally in love with ducks and plan on adding 2 ducks to my new little flock of 6 chickens. my local feed store said in addition to normal ducks they would be getting miniature ducks. do they just mean call ducks or are there several favorites? do they lay tiny little eggs? are they friendly if handled a lot? any info would be very much appreciated:

totally in love with ducks and plan on adding 2 ducks to my new little flock of 6 chickens. my local feed store said in addition to normal ducks they would be getting miniature ducks. do they just mean call ducks or are there several favorites? do they lay tiny little eggs? are they friendly if handled a lot? any info would be very much appreciated:

I'm not that familar with the small duck breeds I have Muscovy, but here is some links about the different miniature ducks breeds. AND
welcome-byc.gif
https://www.backyardchickens.com/search.php?search=Minature+ducks

I have a pair of White Calls. Daffy and Taffy. They are a very nosiy breed. The females make most of the noise. You can hear Taffy as soon as you walk out the door. Mine will come up to me and eat out of my hand sometimes. But usually they go to the back of the run when I come in. However, I have to catch them every evening to put them in their inside cage and they're very easy to catch. Although they do not really like being held. If you raised them inside for awhile and really messed with them I bet they would be friendly. When mine were about a week old they had to be moved outside and it was so cold outside I did not spend much time with them. I really love my Calls and plan on getting more this year. They're a great breed.

~ Aspen

There are several breeds of bantam ducks in addition to the calls.

The APA bantam breeds are Call, East Indie, and Mallard.

Silver Appleyard also comes in bantam size, and Spotted Australian is a bantam.

About all I know about them is that Calls are really loud and all of the bantams are very delicate as newly hatched ducklings.

Thank you every one for your reply's based on them I've decided to go with the non-miniature type of ducks. I only plan to get two so i think i would like nice full size duck eggs. I also didn't love the fact the miniature seem to be very loud.Thank you all again. I just love this site and have already learned so much, i feel so much more prepared and excited for the arrival of our chicks next month. And we are even taking pictures of the building of our coop so we can add it to all the other wonderful ones.

Back
Top Bottom