Miniature Maran

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChickenMomma14, Aug 5, 2016.

1. ChickenMomma14

ChickenMomma14 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2016
    Riverside, California
    [​IMG]
    Ok so I have a Cuckoo Maran, Picture shown, her name is Genevieve. Most people who meet her usually say something along the lines of "look how cute you chick is!". My reply is " She isn't a chick, she is 3 months old."
    Oh the reactions I get being she is only a little bigger than my hand and only 1.5 lbs.
    She started off as a normal chick until she was about 4 weeks old, when I noticed my laced Cochin was surpassing her on size and my Cochin was younger. At that point I realized she was a runt and her digestive system wasn't fully "formed or mature". She started to become really lethargic and skinny so I had to bring her inside and baby her along. I almost lost her or on multiple occasions because she couldn't keep weight, but then I noticed her body was finally keeping weight by itself and she had an incredible amount of personality. On Monday I decided she was healthy and stable enough to return to the coop with the big girls[​IMG]. She is so funny, she pushes the young hens around and is so bossy! Anyway she has been acting like a normal chicken and that she is the same size as everyone else. She has become more of a close pet than anything and I am happy to report she doing great and is as happy as can be.

1 person likes this.
  2. ChickenMomma14

Jul 23, 2016
    Riverside, California
    UPDATE: She gained another .6lb I am so excited she is started to gain weight and body mass

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Aww....just adorable! Some chicks are slow to grow and gain weight. I have found some of my slow growers continue to grow and gain weight unto their second year of life! Size isn't always a factor as to bossiness either. Some of my most bossy hens were tiny as chicks and pullets! [​IMG]

Enjoy your cutie pie!! [​IMG]

4. ChickenMomma14

Jul 23, 2016
    Riverside, California
    My lil Genie is all grown up and caught up on her growth she is now 6 1/2monthes old and I can't wait for that first egg!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by